Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, great northern said:

Hmmm...yes, I'd forgotten him. Elected unopposed?

I think we should distinguish between bad names and names of bad people. I quite like Oliver Cromwell as a name for a loco. Whatever you think of him he was a key figure in English history.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Oliver Cromwell...

He was the other one I was thinking about in the looting and pillaging category. Along with 70038.

I recall a fair dose of irony being remarked upon when No.70013 hauled a railtour from Network Rail onto Swanage Railway metals some years ago. Everyone was 'rejoicing' at the event, even though the picture showed the loco with the ruined remains of Corfe Castle in the background (the iconic view of the line), the caption writer noting that the loco's namesake had been responsible for 'converting' the castle into its present state!

I'll quietly pass on today's poll - I don't 'do' smelly boxes on wheels ... 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've always been impressed by the Deltic's, but am convinced that they only survived as long as they did due their concentration on three depots. They were very complicated machines and could go wrong in spectacular fashion if not carefully looked after. I used to work with a gentleman who worked for EE Co as the site engineer at Finsbury Park (I think?) when the Deltics were introduced very illuminating.

Also - circa 1990 - I and a colleague were asked to assess the "fitness for operation" of one of the preserved Deltics for use on LU metals at a Ruislip Depot Open Day. It was then when we were inside the engine compartment, a silly person (Owner's representative) lit up one of the engines from cold (despite our clear instructions and display of the proper "Do Not" labelling) - ! The noise was like being in a fast turning ready-mix concrete lorry drum with about a ton of loose 1" Whitworth nuts and bolts. We downed tools and ran for the exit and fresh air.

It took sometime for me to stop retching and more before my hearing recovered - following which the language was as blue as the air in the shed and the perpetrator was lucky to leave alive. The only good thing to come from that experience was a clear understanding of the origin of the term "A clean pair of heels"!

I don't recommend such experiences and am very thankful I never had to serve in the military - particularly not in Land tanks / Transport Aircraft / Submarines.

Coming back to the answer to the question, my choice is "Meld" the original of the Lima model that still sits in my display case.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I also have some reservations about voting for diseasels.  However, my Dad and I used to watch out for Deltics displaying new names in the FP depot sidings or crossing the Seven Sisters Road bridge.  My first serious girlfriend lived in a house backing onto FP depot, so in time I saw most of them. 

I prefer the names in the racehorse tradition to the regimental names, my favourite being Pinza. ( I was in a group  which used to play Searchers' numbers!) 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I also have some reservations about voting for diseasels.  However, my Dad and I used to watch out for Deltics displaying new names in the FP depot sidings or crossing the Seven Sisters Road bridge.  My first serious girlfriend lived in a house backing onto FP depot, so in time I saw most of them. 

I prefer the names in the racehorse tradition to the regimental names, my favourite being Pinza. ( I was in a group  which used to play Searchers' numbers!) 

:o:rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

If steam had to go, and let's face it, it did, I always felt that the Deltics were a fitting ECML successor, because they were innovative, exuded power, and could send a shiver up the spine. Not as strong a shiver as we got from the Pacifics, but nevertheless the sight of a Deltic was completely different from that of an EE or Brush 4. Even my young children felt that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

We will therefore move on to best Deltic name.

I like 'Royal Scots Grey' but my vote is for 'Alycidon' . I find it the most memorable as well (apart from 'Needles and Pinza'...) because it seems everyone, including me, struggles to pronounce it!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I was tempted!

Also tempted to have said loco in 4mm form for Carlisle ... (but would have to be in grubby mid-1960s condition)

I too was torn as it ('22) was the only Brit I saw at Laira...1959.

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, great northern said:

You do like your Britannias. Lots of votes, and 12 different nominations. There was a concerted effort by our upside down friends, but one of them hedged his bet, and gave two locos half a vote each. That means that Britannia herself with four votes, edges out Anzac with three and a half.

Are there any really bad Brit names? I don't think so. We will therefore move on to best Deltic name.

Yes, have you tried to live with the name Clive.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Royal Scots Grey

Saw it on arrival at Haymarket Shed. It looked magnificent and sounded the part to handle the ECML expresses from The Waverley to Kings  Cross and vice versa carrying on the great tradition of big engines at Haymarket with big performances.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Bestest Deltic....St Paddy.

Did you know after he was put out to stud, the 'orse that is, he lived longer than the loco lasted. :good:

Evidently chasing some mare around the paddock before completing your requirements leads to long life. Who knew? 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

G'Day Folks

As someone who worked on the darn things, they were very fast and did their job, but they didn't impress me. So Royal Scots Grey, drove it, shunted it and probably fell off it !!!

manna 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2