Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

He was the other one I was thinking about in the looting and pillaging category. Along with 70038.

I recall a fair dose of irony being remarked upon when No.70013 hauled a railtour from Network Rail onto Swanage Railway metals some years ago. Everyone was 'rejoicing' at the event, even though the picture showed the loco with the ruined remains of Corfe Castle in the background (the iconic view of the line), the caption writer noting that the loco's namesake had been responsible for 'converting' the castle into its present state!

I'll quietly pass on today's poll - I don't 'do' smelly boxes on wheels ... 

Digressing slightly, it still amazes me how many of the ruins that Cromwell knocked about a bit were named after GWR locomotives.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

it seems everyone, including me, struggles to pronounce it!

I have never known the right pronunciation. Perhaps it was different for the original gee-gee and the loco.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

As someone who worked on the darn things, they were very fast and did their job, but they didn't impress me. So Royal Scots Grey, drove it, shunted it and probably fell off it !!!

manna 

They impressed me to look at, to listen to, to ride behind and to ride on but certainly not to work on - especially when they were hot after arriving in Edinburgh.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Deltic poll was close, but Royal Scots Grey pulled away to win with 4 votes. "Ohnonotagain" allegedly received 72 million votes, but some irregularities are suspected about that.

Today we shall look for the best B17 name. I suspect some tribal loyalties may be involved.

• Like 4

Best Deltic ? - All of 'em !!

Turn up the volume. Get your hair ruffled, face wet, ears blasted and lungs full of two stroke fumes !!!!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 7

I had hoped there might be separate votes for Footballers and famous houses!  

I took little interest in football till I lived in digs In Manchester.  My fellow residents were nearly all footballers and fans and one night we went to a match at Maine Road.  I was hooked!  Good times; Charlton, Law and Best at Old Trafford and Lee, Bell and Summerbee at City, whom I supported as (initially) the underdogs. 

My parents were deeply involved in Scouting all their lives and therefore 2871 loses out on this occasion to 2846, Gilwell Park, which was for them and many others the spiritual home of the Scouting movement.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/01/2021 at 21:49, great northern said:

There was a concerted effort by our upside down friends, but one of them hedged his bet, and gave two locos half a vote each. That means that Britannia herself with four votes, edges out Anzac with three and a half.

Knew I should've given them a full vote each :jester:

On B17s, I'm going to have to put in for 2862/61662 Manchester United.

Given that the team was originally formed of blokes from the carriage and wagon department of Newton Heath depot (with the team originally being named Newton Heath LYR Football Club), can you imagine how annoyed they'd be to see that name running around on an LNER loco!

• Like 1