Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Well, there's a thing! No need for me to flip any votes, or use any other underhand methods. Big win for the county of my birth, Lincolnshire, 7 votes to Yorkshire and Morayshire's 3.

Is it worth doing the Hunts? Let's give it a go. Tribalism can work again, I suppose.

I will go with The Zetland because that was the name of the park I played in as a kid, in Grangemouth.

It was so named because the land was gifted to the community by the Earl of Zetland . Other than that it has no connection to the hunt which I think was based in the North East of England.

Not as an entrant for voting, more an aside.

Always vehemently denied by others as not possible, but I saw 62729 Rutlandshire, and 62744 The Holderness, on the St. Ives loop out of Cambridge, c1959/60. I remember seeing the nameplates, then underling them in my ABC & wondering why they were not the local names of Cambridgeshire or Huntingdonshire!

To add to the mystery, in later years I met another Cambridge spotter, who became my best friend (though sadly now deceased). One day these cops came up in conversation; he had seen them at Cambridge as well.....

Anyone else able to shed any light?

Stewart

Is it acceptable to follow a Hunt class locomotive if the centre big end heat detector is filled with aniseed rather than oil of violets?

Then at least any hounds in the following train can have a drag race!

• Like 1

I suspect many are uncomfortable with this naming theme.  Personally, I understand that certain animals are pests and have to be controlled, but I would prefer that to be by the most humane means possible.  On Saturday I had to remove a dead mouse from a trap and felt full of remorse, though for some time it had at night been scratching in the loft immediately above our bed.

Irrespective of any such qualms, the naming of these locomotives is a historical fact and the use of similar names for warships also goes back many years.  My choice of favourite name is The Pytchley, 62750, after my Trix Twin 4-4-0 of that name. With pocket money of 6d per week, it took many weeks of saving plus birthday and Christmas money to amass the necessary £5-17-6d.  

Aged maybe 8 or 9, I knew that BR had added 60,000 to LNER numbers and somehow dreamed it was the loco featured in 2750 Legend of a Locomotive, which I had borrowed from the library.

• Like 2