Peterborough North

great northern

'Westmorland', has to be because that's from where my mother's family traces its roots, which include a grandfather reputedly a director of the GNR but more likely a shareholder... my Aunts were prone to exaggeration.  I thought it was Westmoreland though...

Edited by robmcg
correction

I'll go for Evan Ddu in this one. Ddu (pronounced 'do') is gaelic for 'black', which sounds very suitable for a steam engine. It reminds me of a house name that I like in the Black Isle. The sign has a black painted thistle on it, and the name - Thistle Ddu!

Going back to the spelling of Westmoreland, at least that is only one letter out. As Morayshire, Argyllshire, Rutlandshire, etc are so burdened, why is it not Cumberlandshire, Westmorelandshire, etc. At least it would be a consistent error.

59 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Going back to the spelling of Westmoreland, at least that is only one letter out. As Morayshire, Argyllshire, Rutlandshire, etc are so burdened, why is it not Cumberlandshire, Westmorelandshire, etc. At least it would be a consistent error.

Hi,

at it's most basic, shire comes from the Anglo-Saxon for county, so county of Lincoln, county of York etc, the word county being introduced by the Normans, so all counties were also shires, it's just that some never use the term shire.

A modern day example is that although Argyll is sometimes called Argyllshire, I've never heard it called that, and in the local newspaper it's just referred to as Argyll.  However, in some copies of books I've got originally printed in the late 19th century some of them refer to Argyllshire.

Roja

27 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

at it's most basic, shire comes from the Anglo-Saxon for county, so county of Lincoln, county of York etc, the word county being introduced by the Normans, so all counties were also shires, it's just that some never use the term shire.

A modern day example is that although Argyll is sometimes called Argyllshire, I've never heard it called that, and in the local newspaper it's just referred to as Argyll.  However, in some copies of books I've got originally printed in the late 19th century some of them refer to Argyllshire.

Roja

Agreed. Sometimes the 'shire' versions are used, but it as wrong as calling Edinburgh 'Edinborough', or calling the Scottish Goods the 'Scotch Goods' for that matter, even though in this case the latter is ubiquitous.

• Like 2

D11s? Got to be 62678 Luckie Mucklebackit!

(sorry to be a pedant, but please note 'correct' spelling of the first part of that name)

I couldn't believe that name when I first heard of it. Surely amongst the wackiest - if not THE wackiest - of names ever bestowed upon a steam locomotive. It still makes be smile every time I see or hear it

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I would have reccomended Gilbert but he is not going to want to defend you.

Then there was "Horsetan" but he got removed.

So it looks like you have two choices, Cutler2579 or Defend yourself.

My advice with such limited resources is to Defend yourself as My defence is that your "Mad" and so not fit to stand trial.  :mellow:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6