Peterborough North

great northern

No woodenhead. They say it takes someone who's mad to recognise someone else who's mad. My credentials for knowing that I am right are indesputable. How many of you can honestly say that they have also spent time in "Broadmoor":lol:

See Clive you now know it makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gilbert may be aware of a project in the mid 90's to have judge's  attend prisons and such instituations for trials of prisoners rather than taking several defendents to a court. Due to the 1995 Disability Act there was a requirement to make these places compliant. Amongst other places I visited (to carry out surveys was the infamous Berkshire hospital (Broadmoor) 

I also visited Full Sutton Prison near York ( Category A) and asked why I had to remove my shoes. The officer pointed out that I may have stuff hidden in my shoes. Surely, said I " I would have it inside my socks".:)

Please remove your socks,Sir came the reply. I had learnt to keep my trap shut.

I felt safe in all the establishments with the exception of "Broadmoor", especially when the nurse left me locked in a hallway with a "Trustee" who was washing the floor.

Edited by CUTLER2579
Spelling mistake.
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

I also visited Full Sutton Prison near York ( Category A) and asked why I had to remove my shoes. The officer pointed out that I may have stuff hidden in my shoes. Surely, said I " I would have it inside my socks".:)

Please remove your socks,Sir came the reply. I had learnt to keep my trap shut.

You were there on behalf of HM Home Office, not visiting some felon. The Governor should have ensured that such humiliating rituals were avoided. Perhaps he resented the external intervention. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ian, we had a forensic secure unit (ie mad axe murderers) in one of the hospitals I used to work in, IIRC we had the same rules to adhere to if entering a secure area.

G'Day Folks

That's why it's difficult to get into Australia.

manna

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

10 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The Scott names are whimsical, but I have to vote for Somme, in remembrance of all who suffered and died there.  May we never see the like again.

Indeed. Somme.  I was much affected 50 years ago reading 'First Day on the Somme' which detailed the preparations for and failure of the walk to Berlin by Kitchener's Army. Like all of my age with parents from the WW2 era we grew up with a consciousness of world war.  And knowledge of other battles like Verdun, Ypres,  and the rest.

I've never been able to really like 'Earl Haig' on the Hornby Britannia as a result. But no doubt he did his best. And I bought one anyway.

But that is off thread by now.

Edited by robmcg
grammar
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Who could resist a loco called Luckie Mucklebackit?  4 people couldn't, and it won, beating Somme with 3.

There are some comparably wonderful names in classes D29 and D30, so we'll go for those today. If you aren't familiar with the locos, just get out your old Ian Allans and remind yourself. And if you don't have any, why not?

• Like 2