Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

Who could resist a loco called Luckie Mucklebackit?  4 people couldn't, and it won, beating Somme with 3.

There are some comparably wonderful names in classes D29 and D30, so we'll go for those today. If you aren't familiar with the locos, just get out your old Ian Allans and remind yourself. And if you don't have any, why not?

Being far too young to see many steam engines I have gone and done some research and discovered D29 and D30 were old 4-4-0 classes. Sorry my early Ian Allan ABCs only have a few steam locos (not  D29 and D30 classes) but have all the diesels. :locomotive:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Being far too young to see many steam engines I have gone and done some research and discovered D29 and D30 were old 4-4-0 classes. Sorry my early Ian Allan ABCs only have a few steam locos (not  D29 and D30 classes) but have all the diesels. :locomotive:

I am sure you will fill this glaring gap in your library very quickly Clive.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Many of them seen in the west of Edinburgh on local trains to and from Fife and one of the regular visitors was THE PIRATE. In one of the Scottish Railway videos of about 20 years ago by Stuart Sellar he has a lovely colour sequence of this loco on one these local trains taken in the western suburbs with a panoramic view of Arthurs Seat in the background.

1940338200_D3062418ThePirate(4).JPG.320ee0360e3526e2221e96871ad11b4d.JPG

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 12

11 hours ago, great northern said:

There are some comparably wonderful names in classes D29 and D30, so we'll go for those today. If you aren't familiar with the locos, just get out your old Ian Allans and remind yourself. And if you don't have any, why not?

62411 'Lady of Avenel'

One of those odd-ball post-war / early BR locos that got such a livery. This an old GEM kit, hacked about a bit, with a scratchbuilt chassis of mine, for service on my Dad's layout. She's since acquired her name as the final touch. Lovely runner.

WP_20180531_00_04_56_Pro.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

At the moment I’m unable to post you a like for that photo’, Gilbert, for this site has developed some kind of fault. I’ll try again later on.

Rob.

P.S. the site has immediately gone back to normal....

Edited by Market65

21 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

The Walter Scott novels are a rich seam of names for locos - and I'm torn, but will plump for "Jingling Geordie".

Regards

Chris H

I agree . Scott’s novels have produced  a number of names that superficially could be said to be among the most charismatic steam locomotive  names in the country. However , a few years ago I decided that in order to be a “ proper “ LNER  fan I ought read a few of Scott’s novel, to find out something about the characters behind the name. HUGE mistake !  
Scotts novels are dull as ditchwater, boring beyond belief. So dull they even make Moby Dick seem interesting, And worse still , some of these characters , such as Guy Mannering only have small parts in the story. So now I tend to not look too closely behind the names.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A fishy emergency this morning, but now sorted, and I have counted the votes. If the words "I agree" in Jazzer's post above refer to Chris H's choice of Jingling Geordie, then it beat Wandering Willie 4-3. If however it was agreement generally, it is a 3-3 draw. I wonder if World Cup Willie was a descendant of the wanderer?

I think we have now run out of LNER names, so today we will consider the Jubilee class 4.6.0s of the London Midland and Scottish Railway. Any suggestions for classes from other railways that we could look at? Not things like Halls though. Village Hall, Community Hall, Booking Hall, Harry Hall, that sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

17 minutes ago, great northern said:

I think we have now run out of LNER names, so today we will consider the Jubilee class 4.6.0s of the London Midland and Scottish Railway. Any suggestions for classes from other railways that we could look at? Not things like Halls though. Village Hall, Community Hall, Booking Hall, Harry Hall, that sort of thing.

Re Jubilees - far too many wonderful names to consider for one class! I'd have sub-divided it into empire names and warship / battles / admirals. However, it's your thread!

Other (obvious) classes (to me!)

LMS Pacifics (I'd group the Duchesses and Princesses together - 51 names)

LMS Royal Scots (71 names)

LMS Patriots (less than 51 names)

Bulleid pacifics - Merchant Navy, West Country, Battle of Britain - a day for each

Lord Nelsons

King Arfurs (some fun names there!)

Schools

GW classes (if you must!) - 'Castles', 'Manors' ('Halls' are apparently banned and Granges are a bit uninspiring - reaches for tin hat). Actually, the earlier 'Stars' and 'Saints' have some interesting names.

THEN

If you delve into pre-grouping classes then there's endless fun to be had:

LNWR 'Claughtons', 'Prince of Wales', 'George V', 'Precedents' etc.

NBR Atlantics

HR types

How about:

Isle of Man

Isle of Wight

Romney Hythe & Dymchurch(!)

Come on GN, you're not trying hard enough!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

What a mixture of names to choose from here! I agree with the Saint Down Under about Shovell. Rodney also feels most unsuitable for an express loco. I might go for some of the places that I have visited, such as New South Wales, New Zealand, Southern Rhodesia (if the name was up to date, though it was at the time), or Ghana. But to save having to choose, surely the prize for most suitable name for an express engine has to be 'Express'.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile, so far as LMS Jubilees go:

45584 - North West Frontier (the Khyber pass and all that)

With honourable mentions for

45629 - Straits Settlement (along the Malaysian peninsula)

45665 - Lord Rutherford of Nelson (the only one with a double line nameplate)

45690 - Leander (personal association, going back to 1970s Dinting days)

Some of the 457xx battleships names are fantastic - Valiant, Courageous, Indomitable, Fearless ... not so sure about Vindictive though!

As I say, FAR too good a collection of names to do them all in one poll!

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, great northern said:

...so today we will consider the Jubilee class 4.6.0s of the London Midland and Scottish Railway. Any suggestions for classes from other railways that we could look at? Not things like Halls though. Village Hall, Community Hall, Booking Hall, Harry Hall, that sort of thing.

Wow, a wide variety of names from different sources there!  Very difficult to consider them in the manner/mindset they would have been thought of when named in the 1930s - some of them seem slightly inappropriate in the 21st century...  

I'll vote for 5700/45700 as named "Britannia" prior to 1951.  And to pre-empt things, if Gilbert chooses to do a "least favourite Jubilee name" poll, then half a vote each for "Vindictive" and "Inflexible".  Which leads me pretty nicely on to concurring wholeheartedly with Gilbert's comments regarding "Halls"...

9 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

But to save having to choose, surely the prize for most suitable name for an express engine has to be 'Express'.

Top man!

45706.jpg.f0f2640661467e8ddbab86317512e48c.jpg

As running on 'Shap' (or will be, once we're allowed back out). There's a wonderful 1952 Eric Bruton picture of her at Tebay rushing at Shap bank with 13 coaches unassisted. Would love to have seen - and heard - that at Shap Wells!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having considered the helpful replies and suggestions, I will separate the Jubilees as suggested into Empire names, which we will deal with today, and the rest, to be dealt with tomorrow. Please feel free to vote again now that I have moved the goalposts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bihar & Orissa. As pictured in an album I saw about 60 years ago. Seemed awfully, romantically overseas. Least favourite is Straits Settlements, which sounds like a score at Wimbledon. 

If ever life returns to normal, I would probably vote for Madras, as the perfect end to an evening out. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1