Peterborough North

great northern

Well, in this case, I'll leave others to nominate some of those stirring names and I'll stick with

5690 'Leander'. Very much a favourite amongst preserved locos for me, I remember her arriving at Dinting in 1973, fresh out of Derby works with one of the most stunning livery applications ever to adorn a preserved loco. Don't care much for the black livery she currently carries.

And to anyone who says LMS Jubilees don't do much for them, take a look at this bit of video and tell me that the hairs didn't stand up on the back of your neck ... a bit

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

I have to confess to owning a model of Leander, but primarily because Mrs 2750 was fed up with looking at green and black engines.

Though not a Jubilee fan, I am interested in naval history and the class does commemorate some famous warships and admirals.  My vote goes for Shovell (Sir Cloudesley)perhaps less well celebrated than those who fought in the Elizabethan or Napoleonic wars and now possibly best known for his loss in the Association shipwreck in the Scilly Isles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, in this case, I'll leave others to nominate some of those stirring names and I'll stick with

5690 'Leander'. Very much a favourite amongst preserved locos for me, I remember her arriving at Dinting in 1973, fresh out of Derby works with one of the most stunning livery applications ever to adorn a preserved loco. Don't care much for the black livery she currently carries.

And to anyone who says LMS Jubilees don't do much for them, take a look at this bit of video and tell me that the hairs didn't stand up on the back of your neck ... a bit

Absolutely brilliant

Mike

G'Day Folks

The 'Only' Jubilee I can ever remember seeing, was at Barry, 'Galatea', if I've spelt that right, even got a Pic, somewhere...Glad it was saved and returned to running order.

manna

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

YT decided I needed to see it from the other perspective immediately afterwards:

That moment at the top of the hill when the beat quickens and acceleration returns -- that's the point when all the hairs stand on end for me :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Shovell - just seeing the name reminds me of a lovely little place I used to visit, just down from Charing Cross...

45651 Shovell for me as well.  Named after Admiral Sir Cloudesley  Shovell  ,  whose main claim to fame was that he could spell his name 23 different ways ( or was it 24?). 
Said to have been one of the most outstanding sailors of his era, sadly lost at sea in a violent storm.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Of course you can, it be a Jubilee, don't it? A very notable one, as it has an asterix in my Combined Volume.

One of the two that were really Scots!!!!! I was told that when Comet (Coaches, later Models) started and it was just coach sides, the chaps named the Company Comet as the other supplier of coach things back then was named Phoenix!!!!!

They really didn't look like Jubs, same as rebuilt Pats did not look like Pats. 

I saw some Jubs, mainly at Brizzle. There, in summer 1963 I think it was, I saw two local ones leaving with a large train; somewhere I have a rubbish photo of them. 

P

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

One of the two that were really Scots!!!!! I was told that when Comet (Coaches, later Models) started and it was just coach sides, the chaps named the Company Comet as the other supplier of coach things back then was named Phoenix!!!!!

They really didn't look like Jubs, same as rebuilt Pats did not look like Pats. 

I saw some Jubs, mainly at Brizzle. There, in summer 1963 I think it was, I saw two local ones leaving with a large train; somewhere I have a rubbish photo of them. 

P

I nearly made a fool of myself by telling you it was a Scot, but remembered in time that it was a Jubilee masquerading as one.

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Manna ,

Don;t think your getting two votes by posting twice   :boast:

Just like their bloody cricketers tampering with the balls.

G'Day Folks

Sorry about that, after I had pressed the Submit button, I got a message that told me to wait 48 seconds before re-submitting, which I did, still nothing, then gave up and went to bed !

As for scratching your balls in public !!!

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

I nearly made a fool of myself by telling you it was a Scot, but remembered in time that it was a Jubilee masquerading as one.

Somebody that knows stuff could compare them for us so we understand the 'differences'.

P