Peterborough North

great northern

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Somebody that knows stuff could compare them for us so we understand the 'differences'.

P

Ahem ... you called? What d'yer wanna know?

The key visual difference between rebuilt Scots and Patriots was the cab style. The Scots retained their original Fowler style cab but the Patriots got newer style Stanier cabs. The two rebuilt Jubs thus looked similar to the rebuilt Patriots BUT I've recently learnt that the cab side sheets lengths were different(!)

For the other 189, the principal variations were two different boiler / firebox styles (straight throatplate and sloping throatplate) and four different tender types ....

Oh, where's everyone gone?

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm going to crave our Pollmeister's indulgence and nominate two - 45536 and 45537. It would be iniquitous to choose one over the other.

And, obviously, you are keeping your reasons Private.....

• Round of applause 1

I was tempted to mention one of the two true 'patriots' ie volunteer railwaymen who became WWI heros, so I'll go along with our antipodean friend. Half a point each?

To give them their full credit:

45536 Private W Wood VC

Wilfred Wood was an engine cleaner at Stockport Edgeley shed at Stockport. Towards the end of 1916 he joined the Cheshire Regiment as a stretcher-bearer, later transferring to the 10th Battalion The Northumberland Fusiliers. His VC reads:

“…on 28 October 1918 near Casa Vana, Italy, when the advance was being held up by hostile machine-guns and snipers, Private Wood on his own initiative worked forward with his Lewis gun, enfiladed the enemy machine-gun nest and caused 140 men to surrender”.

There's a plaque on Stockport station these days commemorating his life.

45537 Private E. Sykes V.C.

Ernest Sykes was a platelayer for the L&NWR at Micklehurst. When War was declared, Sykes joined as a volunteer with the 7th Battalion The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment. After being injured at Gallipoli, he recovered and went on to serve in the Tyneside Irish Brigade of the 27th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers. His VC citation reads:

“For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty near Arras, France, on 9th April 1917, when his battalion in attack was held up about 350 yards in advance of our lines by intense fire from front and flank, and suffered heavy casualties. Private Sykes, despite this heavy fire, went forward and brought back four wounded men. He made a fifth journey and remained out under conditions which appeared to be certain death, until he had bandaged all those who were too badly wounded to be moved. These gallant actions, performed under incessant machine-gun and rifle-fire, showed utter contempt of danger”.

After the war he returned to work for the L&NWR who named a ‘Claughton’ class locomotive after him in 1922.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Again a few to choose from. Reme and Illustrious are both contenders, and the two Privates referred to before are both are both strong contenders, But I will go for Bunsen. I am sure plenty of fireman would have been please to see some large Bunsen burners, with an appropriate gas supply, in their firebox!

Worst name, surely Giggleswick. Apologies to the inhabitants, but difficult to take it seriously.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lady Godiva; saw that and two others at Bristol Temple Meads, middle of the night whilst travelling from Plymuff to Newcastle on the overnight 'Mail' (took about 12 hours) in 1961 or 62 I think it was. I found out only in the last few years that these Engines were used on night Parcels/Goods from Brizzle to wherever. All three were 82E. I wish I had been allowed to check out the loco changes en route. Hey Ho. I suppose one might have taken our train?

P

• Like 1