Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Not sure what to do about this. I may have to take legal advice. We can't have anything "ist" on here, can we? But at the same time, I really shouldn't be trying to second guess people's motivation for their choice.

Pending legal action, any allegations of vote rigging, and stop the steal campaigns, I will announce that the apparent result was Lady Godiva 6 Illustrious 5.

Carefully choosing a class that did not feature scantily or unclad persons, we move on to the Coronations.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Carefully choosing a class that did not feature scantily or unclad persons, we move on to the Coronations.

Now yer talking!

That having been said, which to choose? Despite my great love for the class, I've always found the 'City of ...' names a bit ... well ... perfunctory (I think the word is? 'without real interest, feeling, or effort' <-- couldn't have put it better myself).

So, we move to the names of the titled ladies from which the class gets its much better enthusiast name 'Duchesses' (so far as the LMS were concerned, they were 'Princess Coronations', an improved version of the 'Princess Royals')

The Scottish Duchesses always sound more interesting to me: Buccleuch (surely one of the most misspelt names in railway history!); Atholl; Abercorn (the 1939 record holder) ... and that also includes 'Hamilton'.

The trans-atlantic wanderer, it was always a 'good 'un' (according to my Dad, who regularly saw and observed them all in the 1950s), and an integral part of the NRM for over 40 years now. Far too much personal enjoyment and admiration for that particular locomotive for it to be overlooked so, despite it being a preserved loco (again), my choice is:

(4)6229 - Duchess of Hamilton

20210117_113802.jpg

My photo, from 1985, with '229 in typical S&C form, roaring up the grade at 50mph with 14 coaches on the drawbar. Inspirational stuff.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Duchess of Montrose. My early-years dream of a model loco. I did acquire Atholl secondhand circa 1956, but it lacked smoke-deflectors and looked 'wrong'. Most of the Southern locos I saw across the field from home had those, you see. It matters when you are 6 or 7. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

City of London cos I had the Hornby Doublo model when I was a kid.

Still got my Hornby Dublo loco.
Romfordised, super strong motor magnet, comet detailing kit and a repaint.
Love it to bits.
Chris.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

46229 Duchess of Hamilton for the poll please Gilbert.  Selside back in the 1980s. If I close my eyes and concentrate I can still hear it.

453359505_46229CMP12Mar83.jpg.c0225eaa1dc2fcbb900330dc4dbe2413.jpg

Edited by TrevorP1
typo Selside.
  • Like 5

Duchess of Sutherland for me. I enjoyed the return leg of a trip behind her a few years ago.

The outward motive power was 60009 and as we approached York we overtook the Duchess running tender first light engine.

Screenshot_20210117-150427.png.da8b89c57cbd1c779fe8eb006c401d4d.png

Sorry for the poor pic. It's a screenshot from a video I hastily took.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Duchess of Buccleuch 

Saw it often on the ex- Caley line on services between Glasgow Central Station to/from Edinburgh Caley Station and also at Dalry Road Shed where the locos turned using the Coltbridge triangle for the return journeys.

Could have voted for some of the other Polmadie Duchess's but this one has the Waverley Route connection as the Buccleuch's own a lot of land in the Borders! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Selside, perhaps? Great atmospheric pic. From around the same time as mine, I do believe ('83 - '85)

Yes, Selside of course in typical misty and damp S&C weather. Early '80s but without my notes handy I can't be sure of the date although I'd guess at 1983 or 84. I lived in Hampshire at the time and none of our 'gang' lived north of Bletchley. The miles we covered to photograph and ride behind that engine don't bear thinking about.

• Friendly/supportive 1