Peterborough North

great northern

Duchess of Montrose for me in this poll.

Simply because there’s a photo (in Big Four in Colour) of her in 1938....Crimson, non streamlined and no smoke deflectors. Power personified! 

One day I’ll build one of these...........

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Duchess of Montrose for me just because of my old Hornby Dublo one converted to 2 rail by an enthusiastic but somewhat lacking in skill teenager. Still got it somewhere, the Duchess not always the enthusiasm.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Duchess of Montrose. I have the Dublo version sitting in bits in a shoe box awaiting restoration.

She's been sitting in that box for 30 years! :(

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A very close run thing this time. Good old Duchess of Montrose 4, London and Sutherland 3.

Now we come to Royal Scots, and I have a problem, as I don't know all the original names. Nevertheless, we will look for the best name ever carried by a Royal Scot, and I shall enlist the support of Graham in telling me what is right and, if necessary, what isn't.

• Friendly/supportive 2

28 minutes ago, great northern said:

Now we come to Royal Scots, and I have a problem, as I don't know all the original names. Nevertheless, we will look for the best name ever carried by a Royal Scot, and I shall enlist the support of Graham in telling me what is right and, if necessary, what isn't.

I shall consult my copy of 'The Power of the Royal Scots' [Jenkinson, 1982] should the need arise; a list of names is available at bad 'ol Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Royal_Scot_Class 
I'd forgotten that a batch of them originally carried names of early LNWR (London&Birmingham / Grand Junction Railway) locos so 98 names to go for in total (if we include 6399/6170, which is generally the done thing for this class).

A fascinating class and very much the LMS 'poster boy' until the Pacifics came along. You could argue that they were the contemporary of the original Gresley pacifics and almost as long lived (1927-1966). Once rebuilt with the magnificent Type 2A boiler they were highly capable machines, virtually an honorary pacific.

I shall remind myself of the list of names and make my choice shortly.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

For this one, I'll go for Samson as most suitable. I had wondered about Goliath, but surely strength is more appropriate for a loco than simply size.  For the worst name, I would plump for Ostrich. Would you feel safe with something with its head in the sand leading your train?

Lloyd

• Funny 1

On 08/01/2021 at 16:38, LNER4479 said:

That will always be ex-LMS 'Royal Scot' No.46107 in my book ...

Argyll and Sutherland Highlander. I voted for it when we did the Deltics and now vote for it again!

Attached, right name, wrong loco for this poll!

20210113_131324.jpg

Edited by David Bell
  • Like 2

There are so many inspiring names, it's really difficult to choose. So I'm going to choose one based on a personal story.

Family history records that my great-great-grandfather served in the British Army in India during the Indian mutiny and was wounded in action during the Relief of Lucknow in November 1857. He lived to tell the tale (otherwise I wouldn't be bothering you now!) and is on the role of honour (so-called - different times and all that) for that action.

Records show that he was part of the 82nd Manchester (foot) regiment. A quick Google shows that that was part of the South Lancashire Regiment, which thus leads me to my nomination for today, and to give it its proper name:

(4)6137 - 'The Prince of Wales's Volunteers, South Lancashire'

The loco itself was notable as the last to be rebuilt, in 1955 (the reason presumably that Bachmann chose this one as their BR green liveried example). Happily, the loco was a Carlisle Upperby loco prior to that so a suitable loco for my Carlisle project in due course. Most excellent. 

(I'm also working on 46136 'The Border Regiment' at the moment which was - thoughtfully - a long-term Carlisle resident)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Argyll and Sutherland Highlander. I voted for it when we did the Deltics and now vote for it again!

Attached, right name, wrong loco for this poll!

20210113_131324.jpg

Well, let's put THAT right for today, at least!

46107.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'll go for 6146 prior to May 1936 - Jenny Lind.  Shares a name with a favourite hostelry (not the first time I've used this as a way of selecting a vote). 

Though I must say I "doff my cap" to those who have personal reasons for selecting regimental names.  

• Like 2