Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to "Maid of Astolat" which has long been a favourite.

When I started as an undergraduate Mechanical Engineering student at Southampton in 1969 our "Engineering Drawing" tutor lecturer was a Mr Jolly - who had started his working life at Eastleigh in late LSWR days and had a large framed works photograph of an Eastleigh Arthur on his office wall. Unfortunately, he died during the 1970 Summer vacation and was replaced by a Mr. Sadd.

Regards

Chris H

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

No hesitation: Sir Dodinas le Savage. Spotted at Reading in 1960 on passing en route to Paddington from Plymuff and then at Exeter Central one or twice in 61/62. Loved the name. Saw Arthur and a couple of others at Exeter Central on Salisbury Locals or a couple of times actually heading an up Meldon ballast; I think the last time I saw Arthur was on one of those workings in 1962. Pity so many went early as they had romantic names and were pretty good Engines by all account.

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In Anticipation.....when we get to Bulleid Light Pacifics, then do we need to decide if they were all West Country Pacifics or some were Battle Of Britain Pacifics and do we split 'originals' and Modified versions?

Personally I don't give a toss, other than I could then have 4 choices:rolleyes: , however this is a thread about that small railway in the east and north east, so I will do as I am told.:angel:

Sir Lamiel.  
Whilst at work a few years ago, she (!) arrived in Grantham Yard during a positioning run.  The crew recognised me from my NVR days and asked me to look after the Loco whilst they had breakfast in the support coach. I didn’t mind, I got a mug of tea and a Bacon butty for my trouble.

Paul

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

King Arthurs? A cracking set of names, although not my region. I think we already have a runaway winner so my non-30777 vote aint going to make much difference ... so I might as well enjoy myself!

How about:

30750 Morgan le Fay

(a powerful enchantress in the Arthurian legend, apparently - she'll do for me!)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, great northern said:

Something to lift the spirits on a horrible morning  of leaden skies and heavy rain. A nicely cleaned Cambridge B12 stands at the head of the 1237 to its home.

1235184073_41558.JPG.262a5576dcea4f927924659149cc55a9.JPG

Brilliant!  What great photography, lighting, weathering, atmosphere, all together.

The fact that a new B12 has just arrived here from Peter's Spares and is yet to be opened is entirely incidental.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I have always thought Excalibur somehow captured the romance and excitement of the Arthurian legend.

I will go for Tintagel , as that is the one that does for me what Excalibur does for you.

Fantastic choice of names to choose from. I think if we speak nicely to the Rules Committee, we might get another competition based on the names of the Standard Class 5 ‘s that took over the Arthur’s names, then get a second bite of the cherry. I can then go for Excalibur that time:rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Being preserved is an advantage in these polls. Sir Lamiel won with 4 votes, but there were 14 different nominations. I'm surprised that Sir Harry Le Fise Lake didn't get a mention though. As a fourteen year old I found that a very funny name.

The point of these names to me is that they have romance, and in a lot of cases beauty, to them. Who cares that there probably never was a King Arfur, let alone the rest of them. Some thought went into it, which is more than can be said for interminable Halls Granges and Manors, which will not feature in these polls. Castles, I can understand, as they have varying degrees of historical significance, but I pity the poor clerks who had to source all those insignificant buildings!  I am entitled to a rant now and again, aren't I? I do try to avoid them, and unneccesary jibes about other railways, but I needed to make it clear what won't be included, and why.

Let us move on to the Schools class, and I don't want all of you just voting for the one you went to. I know we have a very high class of contributors on here.:mosking:

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1