Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

Being preserved is an advantage in these polls. Sir Lamiel won with 4 votes, but there were 14 different nominations. I'm surprised that Sir Harry Le Fise Lake didn't get a mention though. As a fourteen year old I found that a very funny name.

The point of these names to me is that they have romance, and in a lot of cases beauty, to them. Who cares that there probably never was a King Arfur, let alone the rest of them. Some thought went into it, which is more than can be said for interminable Halls Granges and Manors, which will not feature in these polls. Castles, I can understand, as they have varying degrees of historical significance, but I pity the poor clerks who had to source all those insignificant buildings!  I am entitled to a rant now and again, aren't I? I do try to avoid them, and unneccesary jibes about other railways, but I needed to make it clear what won't be included, and why.

Let us move on to the Schools class, and I don't want all of you just voting for the one you went to. I know we have a very high class of contributors on here.:mosking:

The county in which I lived for a number of years, Sussex, is rather over-represented here so quite a hard choice. I think it will have to be Lancing, not only for its glorious chapel set on the edge of the Downs (and which was a most useful landmark when flying at Shoreham) but for its wonderful cricket ground in the lee of that very edifice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Being preserved is an advantage in these polls. Sir Lamiel won with 4 votes, but there were 14 different nominations. I'm surprised that Sir Harry Le Fise Lake didn't get a mention though. As a fourteen year old I found that a very funny name.

The point of these names to me is that they have romance, and in a lot of cases beauty, to them. Who cares that there probably never was a King Arfur, let alone the rest of them. Some thought went into it, which is more than can be said for interminable Halls Granges and Manors, which will not feature in these polls. Castles, I can understand, as they have varying degrees of historical significance, but I pity the poor clerks who had to source all those insignificant buildings!  I am entitled to a rant now and again, aren't I? I do try to avoid them, and unneccesary jibes about other railways, but I needed to make it clear what won't be included, and why.

Let us move on to the Schools class, and I don't want all of you just voting for the one you went to. I know we have a very high class of contributors on here.:mosking:

Gilbert

Even though I prefer the GWR and its pre-grouping companies, I agree that Kings and Castles are OK, but the 'interminable Halls Granges and Manors' are rather scraping a vary rough barrel.

Lloyd

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Oh, how we mourn the demise of the 'groan' button.

You'll be telling us next that your wife has been to the West Indies ...

Funnily enough, the last cruise she did with her now-ex was to the Caribbean, which he loved and she hated.....

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Repton

IMG_2315.jpg.91f775c1bfa00d2c884d28d141e8d4d6.jpg

Some may recognise the location as being not too far from Peterborough North.

Took me a moment or two to get that one Jamie; the name on the signalbox is no help at all! As well as your clue, it was the left background that gave it away on the end.

• RMweb Premium

Though I never went to a public school, I'll go for Repton as I remember playing a computer game of that name many years ago!

Edited by Welly