Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

They were lovely trains, both visually and to ride in.

An article in, probably, Railway World about 50 years ago, eulogised about the electric Nelsons, then on their uppers. The heaters were from a different planet, and according to one commuter, were the best cure for piles he'd ever found. There was also a reference to peak-hour use of the bar, which, allied to the motion at speed, gave rise to a description of commuters "swigging away in waltz-time". 

As for the 4-6-0s referred to by Ducky, they never grabbed my imagination, although I think I saw them all. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm going for Ningwood, as I recall a photo of it in the Railway Toddeller when I was ickle incorrectly named Ringwood. Odd things that stick in your mind, I must have been about 8 at the time!

As for naming a loco after one's self - Geordie Git hasn't got much af a ring to it..... :P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

Who is a clever boy getting his train set in the latest BRM?

Agreed. I’ve just spent a happy half hour reading the article.

I love the digital bonus shots at the end which show the whole layout from the air. It really shows how you’ve fitted it all in. The 9F comparison shot with the prototype is pretty impressive as well. Though it does suggest you need a bit more clutter on top of your ballast in between the running lines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Howard of Effingham. I think the girls at our skool would have sports fixtures against the girls of St Teresa's Convent School, which amused me by being on Effingham Hill. An unfortunate name for a place where particularly high moral standards were no doubt taught. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

An article in, probably, Railway World about 50 years ago, eulogised about the electric Nelsons, then on their uppers. The heaters were from a different planet, and according to one commuter, were the best cure for piles he'd ever found. There was also a reference to peak-hour use of the bar, which, allied to the motion at speed, gave rise to a description of commuters "swigging away in waltz-time". 

As for the 4-6-0s referred to by Ducky, they never grabbed my imagination, although I think I saw them all. 

Sadly I never ever knowingly saw one in service and even missed the Nelson being dragged through Wellingborough late one evening, en route to wherever in the late 70s. Apparently they sounded good, especially the 'special one' with many beats per revolution.

P

• RMweb Premium

Gotta be Sir Walter Raleigh.

Where would we be without his invention of the tatoe, no mash spuds, no roasties, no crisps, no boiled new taters in their skins and most of all no chips.

Not too sure about the addictive weed he came 'ome with. 

As for push bikes.......

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

53 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gotta be Sir Walter Raleigh.

Where would we be without his invention of the tatoe, 

Not too sure about the addictive weed he came 'ome with

As for push bikes.......

Others also weren't too sure about said addictive weed 'right off the bat':

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

When I was in the Senior Scouts, patrols were named after British heroes, presumably to inspire us.  My patrol was named after Sir Francis Drake.  Our shoulder patches were red and gold (for blood and treasure) and we kept our possessions in a locked box with a fretwork representation of the Golden Hind on the lid. Our rivals were named after Reginald Mitchell. 

Though Drake had many faults and there may be current doubts regarding his suitability as a role model, I still find his exploits such as the circumnavigation and Cadiz to be remarkable.

So for me it has to be Franky. 

• Like 2