Peterborough North

great northern

17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cowes.

I had been working on one of the Army's landing craft when I was posted to Marchwood. The bosun suggested I join them on a jolly around the Isle of White. Southampton water was very clam, it started to get a bit choppy as we passed between Portsmouth and Ryde. By the time we got to the Needles our flat bottom landing craft wasn't doing so well, neither were the crew. I was the only one in army greens not in the blues the RCT seamen wore and the only one without a green face. In the end they told me to take the helm, and every now and then someone would appear and tell me to go to port or starboard. Owing to my total lack knowledge of these terms they had to make things simple, "Go F'ing Left". By the time we got to Cowes things had settled down as had the crew's stomachs. They were very kind and let me pilot the landing craft back to Marchwood with gentle commands like "go to the right of the green buoy". None of the other crews invited me to join them putting the experience of the my trip as a bad omen having me aboard.

Have you seen the end of the multimillion dollar hi-tech racing yacht in the waters off New Zealand.
The human factor always wins, for good or bad.
Thank The Lady, nobody was lost or seriously injured. Looked bloody impressive , mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

BTW I think they all had 8 beats to the bar.

That was my understanding, too. Inside motion set at 135deg to the outside.

Anyhow ... now that I've had a chance to review the names ... HEY, they just nicked the best names from the LMS Jubilees! Tut :nono: Which class came first? Ahem ... moving swiftly on.

I'm going for:

Howard of Effingham

And why not? One of the few that was an exact match for a Jubilee - most of the other 'Jub' names were surname only, 'Drake', Raleigh', etc

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Lord Collingwood of course, he was a Geordie.  

BTW I think they all had 8 beats to the bar.

One was different. ICBA to check which one but it might have been Effingham. I shall go and see later maybe and tell you all the whole story.  

Ar$£

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It were Sir John 'awkins what had 180* setting; sounded different with a slower exhaust beat. It was a stronger loco at slower speeds but was a bit more greedy on coal consumption.

There you go.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
Spellin'
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for Collingwood from me. Mainly because he did all the work while someone else got all the glory. Very much like pharmacy technicians, we do all the work and pharmacists get all the money.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My Kimmy had her plague vaccine on Saturday last and she was wiped out almost all of Sunday she could barely rouse herself for dinner. I had mine yesterday and I was the same as her today right up until around 16:30 when all ills vanished over about 45 mins and I became almost insufferable perky. I also had an injection in my hand for trigger finger on Wednesday and had been in a lot of pain caused by inflammation of the injection site and increased painful locking, I couldn't even close my hand at 3 o'clock and even that miraculously vanished none of which I can explain. The offending finger is still locking a bit but the pain has all gone and my finger can straighten out itself without having to unlock it with my other hand. I have no clinical explanation as there is no link as far as I'm aware. Even my doctor, who is my wife's boss, can't explain it but has reported this all as a side effect. I still feel very bouncy! It's most odd but whatever the reason I wish I could buy it in a bottle.

Regards Lez.    

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

1 hour ago, great northern said:

B17s always merit at least two shots. Milton got three.

172037480_316353.JPG.32d1ca61dadf69bb2e7f5bc03d65fdc6.JPG

An interesting day. Wall to wall sunshine, so I was able to both run and photograph quite a few trains. What's more, now that I have identified all the Hunt couplings I had installed upside down and put them in correctly, any lingering problems melt away, at least until I find another one I messed up.

On coming downstairs I found a brown envelope on the mat, and inside was an invitation to make an appointment to be jabbed. However, when I tried I got a recorded message saying that there was excessive demand, and I should try again on the 28th!

And now a recommendation. If you find some mushrooms in the fridge which are quite well past their use by date, do not consume them, even if they look OK. I spent last night paying for that.

What a seriously brilliant photo, and superb weathering and subtle 'finish' on not only the boiler and smokebox but also the wheels rods and motion.

Absolutely top stuff. I have done many pics of B17s some weathered but never as nice as 61635 above, and I cheat! :)

Good luck in getting a jab.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sir Francis Drake won with 6 votes, twice as many as anyone else. Of course in the modern fashion everything we were taught at school has been rehashed, ascribing 21st century views and political correctness to things that happened centuries ago, so should I now be disqualifying him on the basis that apparently he wasn't playing bowls at all, and that he was really just a nasty pirate? Perhaps we should just erase the whole of history because our ancestors did things that we have allegedly learned to stop doing?

Today, sandy beaches and idyllic countryside. The West Country Light Pacifics. Our resident duck has persuaded me to split into two polls, but four was asking too much.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jollysmart said:

Sir Francis Drake for me, the insouciance of the bowls match and the victory are the stuff of legend.

OK chaps, despite me mentioning it, the old Bowls tale is a bit of a myth really. Turns out the tide was wrong as was the wind and so he couldn't have left the Sound anyway. Also he were not a duffer as he knew the poor old Spanish lot would be knackered after coming up through the Bay of Biscay so he had arranged for his buddies to be hanging around Pompey and let the duffers sail up the Channel past Plymouth after being informed there was no intended landings in Kernow. After the Nasty foreigners had sailed beyond the gay bays around Plymuff, they wuz doomed. As it got dark, they decided they would pop into France for some light relief and that is when Mr Drake and Co pounced with the fire ships and all hell broke loose. I will leave the rest for you to read on Wikkithingy or Horrible Histories.

How does I know all this my luvvers? Well, I is a Janner and I loved History at school, as well as using that historic sea battle in a school project at Southway Primary, Plymuff, as a Student Teacher in final T.P. in 1969. The Class teacher was an expert on Naval History!!!!! That really helped!

What I don't know is what the 180* exhaust would have sounded like compared to the 4 Cylinder 135* setting; I'd like to know that if someone can explain...thanks.

Franky (Sir).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Modified: 34003 (but all the others were excellent and the 'newest' Pacifics on BR).

(Tomorrow's news.)

Both types contend for having the most haunting whistle at speed, close to Brits, A4s and those Hooter things from oop North

As almost all of you does not know nuffink about these beasts then I can assure you that the 'Tender trap' is equally as horrific as for the A4s and possibly the A3s? There is also the dreaded Cab width situation and also some other little issues to catch out the unwary! Do I really care? Nope! Did I ever know these things when spotting? Nope! Do I now know all these things? Sort of.

I thank you.

Edited by Mallard60022
Misunderstanding because of Brain Fog
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

For the BBs, Fighter Pilot, coz that's wot my Dad woz...

For the WCs, Trevone - our favourite beach in Cornwall.

How to choose?

Trevone, because Dad loved it too.

Blimey mate. Wot aircraft? You can have both by the way.

P

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

For the BBs, Fighter Pilot, coz that's wot my Dad woz...

For the WCs, Trevone - our favourite beach in Cornwall.

How to choose?

Trevone, because Dad loved it too.

You will have the choice. It is WCs today only.

• Thanks 1

34036 - Westward Ho!

A cracking name and the only place in the UK with an exclamation mark in its name(!) Rather boringly, the Southern / BR (Suvvun Region) didn't see fit to include said piece of punctuation in the actual loco nameplates. Hey Ho! (<-- see what I did there?)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1