Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

A toughie, this. So many luscious names for so many luscious places, although some are a bit more ordinary when you visit them!

It could be Hartland, previously feted by Southern on an Atlantic, which is where the Point is, of course, as well as being the unlikely middle name of a girl at skool, long dated by my late friend Peter. Or Padstow, where 'Obby 'Oss day gave us a good time on several occasions, even if it rained. Wadebridge, where the 0298s outlasted their classmates by so many decades, and where in 2017, Sherry and I saw John Greenwood's smashing 2mm FS layout of the same station, at the Betjeman Centre. 

But I will plump for 34102 Lapford, which in 1960 defied all trainspotting logic by hauling a diverted Pines Express all the way to Birmingham New Street, and after an overnight rest nearby took the southbound train back again. I like intrepid explorers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very difficult to narrow things down to a single vote, as I have different favourites for Air-Smoothed and Rebuilt versions...

• Rebuilt - Exeter (a city I have an extremely tenuous connection with via an educational establishment in central Oxford). 
  • Air-Smoothed - Coombe Martin (the venue for a family holiday when I was 7, and unfortunately too young to really able to appreciate the beauty of the area - all I and my younger brothers were interested in was the sandy beach at Woolacombe (which nearly got my "Rebuilt" vote)) 

If forced to choose between the two I'll vote for Exeter.  

Fully concur with @Mallard60022 regarding the complications of tenders, cabs and the like on Bulleid Pacifics...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, great northern said:

For the avoidance of doubt, and as the names didn't change when rebuilt, we are on West Countrys today, and will do Battle of Britains tomorrow.

Is that the correct plural or should it be "Battles of Britain" (like "Courts Martial")? 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Is that the correct plural or should it be "Battles of Britain" (like "Courts Martial")? 

I agree it might look slightly awkward, but less awkward than typing "Battle of Britain Class locomotives" every time! 

It's referring to one particular battle, so I'd think "Battle" would have to be singular.  "Courts Martial" surely refers to more than one court? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

For me the best WC name has to be 34006 "Bude" as seen below  just south of Chilcompton Tunnel on 5th March 1966 p.m. (the last Saturday of Somerset and Dorset services).

1892678193_Bude-SandDlastday001.jpg.c070617d9c0d21190fcc146349f137f4.jpg

A better print than the Ventnor picture taken about 7 months later!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

For me the best WC name has to be 34006 "Bude" as seen below  just south of Chilcompton Tunnel on 5th March 1966 p.m. (the last Saturday of Somerset and Dorset services).

1892678193_Bude-SandDlastday001.jpg.c070617d9c0d21190fcc146349f137f4.jpg

A better print than the Ventnor picture taken about 7 months later!

Regards

Chris H

Wow!  The angle of the light is highlighting all sorts of defects in the air-smoothed casing that would just be impossible to model on a 4mm plastic loco body...

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Wow!  The angle of the light is highlighting all sorts of defects in the air-smoothed casing that would just be impossible to model on a 4mm plastic loco body...

And think of the comments you would get if you did succeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Has to be Westward Ho! for me.

I have many happy memories of family holidays there both as a child with the "olds" and with "wags" in later life. One of the best beaches in the country has miles of sand running out towards the estuary when the tide is out, it's firm sand too so good for cricket and is great for surfing. It has a right angled coast line, the west facing side as I said good for surfing and the North facing side has a multitude of rock pools full of life, lots of which are good to eat. The fishing isn't the worst either. The fact they named a loco after it is just icing on the cake. Happy happy days!!  

Regards Lez.

• Like 3

A difficult choice, this one.  I do like the idea of a locomotive name containing an exclamation mark. but personal memories take me in different directions.  I watched the 1966 World Cup Final at a camp site in Bude, and have happy memories of holidays at Torrington.  However, Dartmoor is a frequent destination when not in lockdown, so that will be my nomination.

• RMweb Premium

Taw Valley for me, as my mate JB used to own a goodly chunk of it.

M'Duck, the 135 degree Nellies would have eight exhaust beats per wheel revolution, the odd one out had four per revolution after it was altered.  I mentioned it in the first place because I think someone alluded to the altered loco being the one with 8 chuffs per rev, wot was the wrong way around.  Edit - it were you, M'duck!

One of the Princesses on the funny LMS job was altered the other way, also found to make little difference.  This is bol....wrong, as a little research has proven after Graham posted. (oddly there's no strike through in this editor here?).er, 

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

On checking various sources, I find my memory to be at fault.

I seem to have got the wrong day and loco for under-cladding fire and the "Winfield" paint?? -

Bude's duty on 5th March 1966 was the LCGB "Somerset and Dorset" tour "all bulled-up" and double-headed with 34057 "Biggin Hill". And other peoples' photos show Bude with matching paint and lining on the south-bound return.

What I did remember right was that Evercreech Junc North Box was burnt down over night 5th/6th March 1966 - so to pass the final RCTS and SLS special trains on the Sunday ( the only trains that day) some "fixing" was needed.

Please ignore the story given earlier. I will try and get my memory straight - but we had more than one visit to watch the trains in the last months of 1965 and early 1966.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
Correction of a badly flawed memory!!
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

M'Duck, the 135 degree Nellies would have eight exhaust beats per wheel revolution, the odd one out had four per revolution after it was altered.  

One of the Princesses on the funny LMS job was altered the other way, also found to make little difference.

Never heard of that! However, one of them (46205) was modified to have inside valves operated by outside valve gear via a 180degree rocking lever arrangement (the opposite of the GWR arrangement for 4 cyl locos). Distinguishable by a massive outside motion bracket. This principle (ie two sets of valve gear to operate four sets of valves) was adopted for the Duchesses via a more elegant arrangement. Princess valve gear was a bit cumbersome, with four sets of valve gear for four cylinders.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Don't go there on November 5th.

I know it is on the dangly arm of the Lost Somewhere out West Railway but it is still the wrong side of Royal Oak station and my mum told me never to go that far west. So I cannot see a visit to Ottery St Mary at any time being in my diary.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I know it is on the dangly arm of the Lost Somewhere out West Railway but it is still the wrong side of Royal Oak station and my mum told me never to go that far west. So I cannot see a visit to Ottery St Mary at any time being in my diary.

It's fine honestly, you can even get insurance!

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, CHAZ D said:

34034 COOMBE MARTIN As my father lived there in later years

How nice, I was just looking at a lovely pic of 34043, a Somerset & Dorset engine for some time was it not.  And by reputation one of the 'bad uns'... imagine slipping in Devonshire Tunnel with 8-on... and holiday intensive schedules to keep. 

34043_WC_Bulleid_portrait1_3ab1_r1820.jpg.83c1689a2be33995a11954a694e1522b.jpg

but my vote does to another S & D West Country engine, an unloved Hornby model enhanced a tad here.. 34041 'Wilton'.

782132274_34041_Bulleid_Glory_SD_1abcd_r1800.jpg.f1c1014046a409d23fe5452354eb5aa7.jpg

Sorry Gilbert but it's all for balance you know.   Yin and yang,  A cohesive whole....  

Nurse!  Where are my pills...?

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Never heard of that! However, one of them (46205) was modified to have inside valves operated by outside valve gear via a 180degree rocking lever arrangement (the opposite of the GWR arrangement for 4 cyl locos). Distinguishable by a massive outside motion bracket. This principle (ie two sets of valve gear to operate four sets of valves) was adopted for the Duchesses via a more elegant arrangement. Princess valve gear was a bit cumbersome, with four sets of valve gear for four cylinders.

Yes I think you're right Graham, it is a 'false memory' I think.  I have found the photo I was thinking of, and it is 6205, however I recall a discussion years ago with an engineer friend about 4 cylinder locos and crank settings and really though this was also done to it at the time - my apologies.  I'll alter the original post.  I wonder what we were talking about though - it wasn't the Nelsons.....this is going to bother me all night now!

• Friendly/supportive 1