Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blimey mate. Wot aircraft? You can have both by the way.

P

12 hours ago, great northern said:

You will have the choice. It is WCs today only.

Oops, misread the instructions - I only saw Light Pacifics. So Trevone this time please.

@Clive Mortimore Dad was only in the RAF towards the end of the war. He trained in Southern Rhodesia and converted to Spitfires and Tempests. I don't think he saw active service, although he nearly managed to kill himself when he landed a Spitfire upside-down (to be precise, he landed the right way up but a tyre burst so it groundlooped and turned over).

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Salisbury for me. An air smoothed example that had a run up the ex GC London Extension to Nottinghan Vic and which I have a model of.

Despite being a die hard LNER modeller I've always liked the Bulleid pacifics.

Andrew

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

25 votes in the West Country poll, which I think may be a record. 18 different names put forward, the winner being Wesward Ho! with 5.

And so to Battle of Britain names. In order to curry favour with my ducky chum, we will split this into original and rebuilt, which may also make you think a little more. Today then it is the best Battle of Britain name in original Bulleid condition.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, great northern said:

25 votes in the West Country poll, which I think may be a record. 18 different names put forward, the winner being Wesward Ho! with 5.

And so to Battle of Britain names. In order to curry favour with my ducky chum, we will split this into original and rebuilt, which may also make you think a little more. Today then it is the best Battle of Britain name in original Bulleid condition.

Sorry to be on obtuse , Gilbert but as they were all in original condition at one time, you mean Original/ Rebuilt condition at the time of withdrawal ?

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, great northern said:

Fighter Pilot!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

My vote for an "Air smoothed" BoB goes to 34051 "Winston Churchill" as I remeber going to see the funeral train going through Bracknell on its way to Handborough on 30th Jan 1965. He was at least a National Treasure, almost up with Royalty!

Alternatives could have been 34057 "Biggin Hill" - which was the second loco, behind "Bude", on the LCGB Somerset & Dorset last day rail - or 34066 "Spitfire", but that one was involved in the Lewisham crash so probably not a well remembered loco.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Gold

34051 "Winston Churchill" as I remember going to see the funeral train just before Earley station and have been immortalise in this picture:-

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/SRSteam/Bulleid-Locomotives/Light-Pacific-Class/3402134052-Built-1946/3704934052/i-jHc5dGW/A

The memory of "old soldiers" saluting with tears in their eyes is very poingnant to this day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

For me it has to be 264 Squadron.

264 was a night fighter squadron and had Defiants originally which is my favorite single engine RAF fighter. Although technically a destroyer not a fighter. They switched to Mossies in 42 and finally to Meteors in 51. Built by BR in 48 never rebuilt. Scrapped in 64. May she rest in peace.

Regards Lez.

• Like 3