Peterborough North

great northern

10 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I watched the funeral on television and will never forget the way the Thameside cranes dipped their jibs in tribute.

Indeed, that is one of the first items on television that I can remember watching.

I little amusing story:-

One of our visitors at Locomotion (in the long remembered days when we could have visitors) complained that the air-smoothed casing wasn't smooth enough, and what had the Railway Museum done to it?

And then of course there is the often quoted and possibly apocryphal De Gaul story. (And I did recently discover a possible another aspect of that.)

I hope all our engines aren't getting bored with no-one coming to see them!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Winston Churchill for me Gilbert. I had the ubiquitous Tri-ang Hornby model as a child and it was treasured above all else.

I only saw the real thing in BR service once. Dad had taken me down to Southampton Central for an afternoon's spotting when, from Platform 4,  we saw it run in on the opposite side, Platform 1. Oblivious to all else I ran across the footbridge and down to the end of Platform 1, scattering porters, passengers and GPO staff in my wake. By the time Dad arrived, embarrassed and breathless I had summoned the courage to speak to the driver, who was at the hand wheel of the water column, and been invited to climb into the cab. I can recall glancing down as Dad appeared and the driver nodding and smiling in my direction. It was the first time I had ever spoken to a driver and the first loco cab I'd ever been in.

A wonderful memory and it brings a tear to this silly old fool's eyes very time I think of it! :) 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Sir Winston Churchill for me too, for an original, and for a rebuild, Sir Frederick Pile, as that was my Grandfather's name - wasn't him though!

Family connection to Sir WC, my wife's Grandfather made the plinth his statue sits on in Westerham, as he was an accomplished stonemason.  Grandad, that is....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, great northern said:

25 votes in the West Country poll, which I think may be a record. 18 different names put forward, the winner being Wesward Ho! with 5.

And so to Battle of Britain names. In order to curry favour with my ducky chum, we will split this into original and rebuilt, which may also make you think a little more. Today then it is the best Battle of Britain name in original Bulleid condition.

Thank you dude. My original suggestion was just a ploy to get 4 chances to vote as there are soooooo many I remember. 

P

• Like 1

34081, 92 Squadron.

During the later stages of its initial restoration in the late 90’s, I was asked to sign-write the lettering for the BR version of Sunshine lettering.  (I used to do Sign-writing on occasions on the NVR.)  I spent every spare day I had over a 12 week period, going from Winter to Spring, not only painting lettering and numbers, but resolving the vertical positions of the three horizontal lines for Karl, the NVR Staff painter.  
The owning group had to increase the height of the tender sides to cope, then ruined my first attempt by taking the locomotive on a steam test prior to any varnish being applied!

A second attempt had to be abandoned due to the tender being full of water, paint froze on contact with the metal, but success came with the third go.  
As you can read an experience I do not regret.  I always smile to myself when ever I see a photo of 92 from that period.  If anyone has the DVD about the restoration, you’ll see me working away in the NVR shed.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

It has to be Anti-Aircraft Command 21C149

We all know the story of the bravery of the fighter pilots but the story of the anti-aircarft and searchlight crews who were on duty 24 hours a day hardly gets a mention. Many batteries where mixed male and female, the ATS women would be manning the range finders, predictors etc while the men were firing the guns. 93rd Searchlight Regiment Royal Artillery was Britain's only all female regiment. AA command very rarely gets recognised as a front line unit but during the Battle of Britain, the Blitz and during the time the flying bombs they were.

I could have gone with Winston Churchill as it was one of the few steam locos I trainspotted while in service.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, figworthy said:

34050 Royal Observer Corps for me.

Adrian

Hi Adrian

A very good choice, like the AA Command not given enough praise especially as they were volunteers not and not a formal part of the armed forces. Can I suggest you chose another one, today is supposed to be the bestest name of those who didn't run around without the tin can on them. 34050 was de-cloaked in 1958.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Can I suggest you chose another one, today is supposed to be the bestest name of those who didn't run around without the tin can on them. 34050 was de-cloaked in 1958.

:-(

You may suggest anything you like.

:scratchhead:

34066 Spitfire - various family connections.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It has to be Anti-Aircraft Command 21C149

We all know the story of the bravery of the fighter pilots but the story of the anti-aircarft and searchlight crews who were on duty 24 hours a day hardly gets a mention. Many batteries where mixed male and female, the ATS women would be manning the range finders, predictors etc while the men were firing the guns. 93rd Searchlight Regiment Royal Artillery was Britain's only all female regiment. AA command very rarely gets recognised as a front line unit but during the Battle of Britain, the Blitz and during the time the flying bombs they were.

I could have gone with Winston Churchill as it was one of the few steam locos I trainspotted while in service.

Indeed. After Dunkirk their commanding officer 34058  Sir Frederick Pile issued a General Order to his men and women pointing out that they were the only British Troops  ( as opposed to aircrew) still firing at the enemy.  It was due to Pile’s far sighted ness that women started to be trained for role before the war started.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Nobody has made an RTR 75 Squadron  (NZ crews , RAF Bomber Command, )  and the others are so deserving I'll have to pass on this one. 

Two close friends had fathers (whom I knew) who were commanders in 75 Squadron and the losses from 1939-45 were very heavy. Both had around 20 missions.

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

If I remember correctly, the loco on W Churchill's funeral train was not 30451, as that was not available at the time. Another light pacific (I can't remember which one) swapped names and numbers with it.

My favorite memory of the funeral is the report in, I think, the Daily Telegraph, which state ' As the train bearing Sir Winston Churchill's coffin pulled away from the platform, a large CROW sang 'Abide with me'.'

Lloyd

• Funny 2