Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Another very close poll, finshing Sir Keith Park 7 Royal Observer Corps 5.

Today I am tiptoeing into waters about which I know little, so I'm hoping Dudders may come along and help me out.

The Brighton Atlantics, BR classes H1 and H2. There is a GN connection, and there were some nice names.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

North Foreland for me!  

I'm sure "Beachy Head" sounded a lovely name at the time (and I wish the Bluebell well with their replica project), but unfortunately its reputation as the last resort of some of the truly desperate means I feel unable to vote for it.  Luckily, no-one I know personally has chosen that way out... 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Lord Dowding.
Picture the scene.
Durrington station on what I believe is called the Coastaway Line.
A young Chris and his Mum were walking away from the station in August.
A whistle from the Brighton end and a filthy, unnamed Rebuild comes powering through on a parcels train.
Lord Dowding.
The fact that memory is still as sharp over 30 years later, is why that's my favourite BoB.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure what assistance I might need to provide to our host, who seems to be managing these enjoyable polls quite splendidly, as we would expect, really. The Atlantics only acquired their names in Southern days, of course, the Brighton having lost the taste for them during Marsh's reign. Hamilton Ellis opined "Names after headlands were, one supposes, alright" and "there was an ambiguity about Portland Bill suggestive of some character who had been a guest of Government in Dorset."

Nevertheless I am also plumping for Bill, on the dual grounds that my near-neighbour decamped from la Sarthe to live there, while, if Sherry and I ever get together again in Devon, we walk up Portland Road to our fave pub, the Buccaneer at Babbacombe. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 69843 said:

Not a poll answer, but any chance of a shot of 60012 today Gilbert? Good date for it (though past the 1am mark on the 27th here now).

Sorry, horrible day here, pouring rain and no light. I went up to do some maintenance earlier, and found I couldn't see well enough, even with the fluorescent lights on.

• Like 1

Just now, great northern said:

Sorry, horrible day here, pouring rain and no light. I went up to do some maintenance earlier, and found I couldn't see well enough, even with the fluorescent lights on.

Same here in Manchester.
I sympathise.