Peterborough North

great northern

3 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I classify myself as a Mancunian by birth (grew up in Heald Green) so I like to think I know what I'm talking about! Have now emigrated to the North East - noticeably drier this side of the Pennines.

I can remember a couple of Unthanks Singing Weekends at Seahouses which were decidedly wet and windy.
Northumberland, one of my favourite places in the world.:heart_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

G'Day Folks

I'll go for Beachy Head, the new one as there is a lot of GN loco in there.

I worked a class 156 from Leeds to Manchester on day, I was in shirt sleeves, when we left Leeds, by Huddersfield, we were in a Blizzard, at Manchester it was pouring down !!

manna

• Like 2

I must say Gilbert that your photos and models are an inspiration to me, particularly because they capture, more than any other others I have seen, that subtle fine line between steam engines which are work-stained in various ways  and those which are simply covered in usually matt soot or dust.

Having lived with working steam in the 50s and 60s just like some readers here I know what working heavy main line steam actually looked and smelled like 

Having just ordered a weathered A2/2 60505 'Thane of Fife' from TMC I am hoping to find that delicate balance to show in my own photos, rather like your own recent photos of B17s and 60504.... although I will edit my pics rather than further weather the models...

Your layout and photos are superb, and so is the rather bare architecture and street atmosphere..  Thankyou.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I will also go for the Needles as I’ve sailed past them many times.

Hi Andy

I take it you read my experience of going around the Isle of White in a landing craft a few days ago. Not something I would recommend in even a slightly choppy sea. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

I take it you read my experience of going around the Isle of White in a landing craft a few days ago. Not something I would recommend in even a slightly choppy sea. 

Clearly you have no knowledge of the seas around New Zealand, even the  old salts in the Navy shudder when they recount some of the storms in Cook Strait or Taranaki Bight in a frigate... and when you are stuck outside the heads of Wellington Harbour for 5 hours in a 6,000 ton ship it is no fun either...  been there done that, Never enjoyed tomato sauce on me fish and chips after that...   but Britain Rules the Ocean Wave, God Bless 'Er.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have just taken the liberty of cropping a couple of the lovely pics by Gilbert which I alluded-to two posts back... will remove if asked.

60504_A2_2_1abc_r1404.jpg.ff6b127a11310f7dcf0fff915595fa8f.jpg

61635_B17_1abcd_r1481.jpg.86e916a94372997163914db0b9dc9a89.jpg

Lovely stuff.  I must have green engine deprivation syndrome having grown up with black ones.... 

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Portland Bill 7 Beachy Head 4..... and the Needles 4 too, which shows that  Clive is no mystic Meg. Needles also appropriate as I've been invited to be jabbed next week.

Today we will do Merchant Navys. Just the one poll, no distinction between air smoothed and rebuilt.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, robmcg said:

Clearly you have no knowledge of the seas around New Zealand, even the  old salts in the Navy shudder when they recount some of the storms in Cook Strait or Taranaki Bight in a frigate... and when you are stuck outside the heads of Wellington Harbour for 5 hours in a 6,000 ton ship it is no fun either...  been there done that, Never enjoyed tomato sauce on me fish and chips after that...   but Britain Rules the Ocean Wave, God Bless 'Er.

Not quite a storm off New Zealand, but someone I knew had a fascinating but earie story. He was on a Ship called the Norfolk off Hastings in the 1930's when the big earthquake occured. The previous ship of the same name, an old sailing vessel, had sunk in that area. During the earthquake, in the dark, the wreck rose up just beside them, and they could read the name and recognize the rigging. The crew were very quiet for a while after that!

Lloyd

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Port Line.

A number of years ago, I visited someone in New Zealand with whom I had corresponded on railways for some time. In his front hall hung a nameplate from Port Line. He explained that before emigrating he had worked for the company and, when it was sold to another organisation, one of the directors said to him "you like railways, don't you? You'd better have this".

So 35027 it must be, in David's memory (oh, and in his basement he had a super EM layout based on Devizes).

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

New Zealand Line for me too. Unpatriotic to choose any other however, having worked for the post office, Royal Mail would be my second choice.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

35002 UNION CASTLE

Must be this as my Grandfather (a quaified boilermaker) sailed on Carnarvon, Windsor, Winchester and Kenilworth Castles on the South Africa Run (Cape Town Johannesberg) from the 30's to the 50's.

Here on my layout a year ago:-35002.JPG.3af12ee6bc07fdf6ee4473ef418bb704.JPG

As pointed out by FarrMan not Joberg but my grandad used to talk a lot of Joberg and I thought he must have sailed there!

Edited by CHAZ D
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very tricky to choose this one...

I'll go for Ellerman Lines - my heart always sinks when I see her in that state.  I know there are plenty of other Merchant Navies preserved (you can never say too many), couldn't they have turned an anonymous tank engine into a sectioned educational exhibit? 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Clan Line. Because of Stephen Austin’s lovely book Atlantic Coast Express which gives every detail of the ACE running from Waterloo to Padstow in 1960, starting with preparation of the engine and train the night before to the end of the journey in Padstow. The best part is Clan Line taking the first part of the journey from Waterloo to Basingstoke which gives a brilliant account of the excitement of driving and firing a top express in steam days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHAZ D said:

35002 UNION CASTLE

Must be this as my Grandfather (a quaified boilermaker) sailed on Carnarvon, Windsor, Winchester and Kenilworth Castles on the South Africa Run (Cape Town Johannesberg) from the 30's to the 50's.

Here on my layout a year ago:-35002.JPG.3af12ee6bc07fdf6ee4473ef418bb704.JPG

How did he manage to sail to Jo'burgh?

Lloyd

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll go for Ellerman LInes.

My reason is that I was able to see the loco being sectioned and prepared for the NRM as my late father managed the business where much of the work was done.

It's one of the few locos that I can honestly say I know what all the parts look like and how they fit together.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4