Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Another close poll, decided by the last vote. New Zealand 5 Ellerman 4. That means I don't have to worry whether votes for Ellerman line should be halved, because the real thing has been.

Off back to Scotland now, and the J36 0.6.0s. Some very evocative names there, and perhaps one or two contentious ones as well.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, great northern said:

Off back to Scotland now, and the J36 0.6.0s. Some very evocative names there, and perhaps one or two contentious ones as well.

That's a good shout. Let's see now ...

Well - according to https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j36.php there was an early withdrawn one (1939), No. (9)661 called 'Ole Bill'. I rather like that! So I'm going with that one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll vote for Maude on this one - had a trip behind her when "doing" Scotland 28 years ago.  

Probably fortunate that 627 (Petain) didn't last until the Second World War, and the name for 628 (Byng) certainly needed checking for its origin (Army, not Navy...)

• Like 1

Somme for me.

Missed the Merchant Navies. It would have been Clan Line for me as I rode on the ACE behind her to Exeter on 23rd March 1964. Dad and I went down there to visit his father's grave at Torquay before we emigrated.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

That's a good shout. Let's see now ...

Well - according to https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j36.php there was an early withdrawn one (1939), No. (9)661 called 'Ole Bill'. I rather like that! So I'm going with that one.

If I remember rightly I think i have seen a photo of Ole Bill sporting apple green?

• RMweb Premium

Maude again.

It and Gough, both based at Haymarket lining up with the Pacifics, were like our old friends being seen practically every day as one of their regular turns was on the daily Ferry Goods.

Happy days!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mountains in Great Britain over 3000' high that are in a book about walking  and climbing in the mountains from back in the day by a chap called Munro.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Premium

Being preserved is a big plus in these polls. Maude won with 6 votes, half the combined total.

Today we will look at Class D34, Glens. Wild and beautiful places, and some very sonorous names among them. Best name could be best sounding one, apart from those who carry memories for you.