Peterborough North

great northern

I'll go for Glen Shiel. There are two Glen Shiels, one by Glenfinnan and one at Shiel Bridge on the A87 towards Skye. I have many memories of driving up and down the second Glen Shiel on my way away from or towards my then home on Skye. I was even involved in the maintenance on that road for a time. 

Talking of Skye, at one time (maybe still there) there was a sign on the West side of the island to the 'Skye Diving Centre'. Confusing?

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Glenfinnan for me.

I built the GEM kit back in 1978 and named it Glenfinnan but sold it many years ago. It was a build of the time with my limited experience at that stage. Recently I've seen it in a second-hand shop at Strathalbyn on the eastern side of the Mt Lofty Ranges not far from Adelaide. At least it's in a place with a Scottish name!

Andrew

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Talking of Skye, at one time (maybe still there) there was a sign on the West side of the island to the 'Skye Diving Centre'. Confusing?

Love it!

Rather reminds me of this (from Oop North, where black pudding is made):

RSPCA Marketing.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Glen Lyon.

Plenty to choose from as many of the class worked regularly on local turns from Fife into The Waverley travelling through the west of the city and of course there were a number at St. Margarets seen all over the area.

I chose this as it was transferred from Perth down to Hawick in 1960 and worked over The Waverley Route until late 1961 when it was withdrawn. It then ended up on the deadline at Haymarket for a few months and was the last Glen I saw in service and of course cabbed it at 64B along with dozens of other lads! 

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Love it!

Rather reminds me of this (from Oop North, where black pudding is made):

RSPCA Marketing.jpeg

Not quite along the same lines but near us there are two businesses next door to each other - a veterinary hospital and a gourmet butcher...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, great northern said:

An easy winner today. Glenfinnan with 6 votes, nothing else more than 2.

Today it is locomotives named after Castles. Any railway/region/era counts. Which is the best?

61633 Kimbolton Castle

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Such a lot of Castles to chose from. I was tempted by Drysllwyn Castle on the grounds of the amusement seeing non-welsh folk trying to pronounce it (Drysllwyn has three vowels in it!), and also because it was carried by three different locos of the same class (5051, 5076, and 7018). Is that a record? But I have to go for 100A1 Lloyds, for obvious reasons.

Lloyd

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK, someone's got to do the obvious - 34039 Boscastle, 35002 Union Castle, or maybe 30742 Camelot... :jester: 

If these are all ruled "Out of Order" and I have to resort to names referring to real stone-built structures, then I'll have to venture to the dark side and go for 5034 Corfe Castle - a location I presume was fortunate enough not to be regularly visited by the foreign over-blinged locomotive bearing its name...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought about one of the HR Castles, probably Ballindalloch Castle, but in the end I've reverted to Cornwall and of the several names for such edifices in the Duchy I'm going to choose Tregenna Castle, which is more a castellated mansion than a proper castle but is best known as a very fine hotel. We stayed there for the wedding of one of my former wife's nieces in the early 1990s - her father was the resident manager at that time.

• Like 1