Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

OK, someone's got to do the obvious - 34039 Boscastle

I have to go with that. It reminds me of a Thomas Hardy poem "At Castle Boterel" (ancient name for the place), and of a most pleasant short break Deb and I had there in 1982, staying at the Bottreaux House Hotel. A week later my father died suddenly, and the upheaval in his wake rather wiped out the benefit of getting away. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Kilgerran Castle has my vote. Sorry it's a GW engine but it's named after a nice little fortress somewhat off the beaten track in wales that would make a nice model in itself.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It has to be Pendennis Castle. No other comes close. Very strong personal connections with the actual location from my childhood holidays to being the place where I married Carol. Although Castle numbers appear in my cop book, the first Castle locomotive I can actually remember seeing was also Pendennis Castle on it's 'first time round' at Didcot - how could I forget with it's mainframes painted red outside as well as between?!

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Got to be B17, Alnwick Castle, as I have a model, but 'Bruce Castle' deserves a mention, sounds like it's in Scotland, but it's in Tottenham, not to far from where I lived in Wood Green when I was a kid.

manna

• Like 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

No stop here for Melton, so on she goes, driver ready to get back up to speed very shortly.

1523122810_8442.JPG.308362d5e7a6ca788c9bde1b566df603.JPG

I question if I may,  did any Peppercorn A2s grace Peterborough North with their presence on any regular basis?

I ask because of the impending arrival of the Hornby Thompson A2s has got me making comparisons...

Apologies if you have already shown Peppercorn A2s and I was asleep...

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I question if I may,  did any Peppercorn A2s grace Peterborough North with their presence on any regular basis?

I ask because of the impending arrival of the Hornby Thompson A2s has got me making comparisons...

Apologies if you have already shown Peppercorn A2s and I was asleep...

The only one was 60533, which was normally shedded at New England, with forays to Kings Cross and Grantham. York had 60526, but it wasn't common down south, and the same applied to 60538/9 which occasionally appeared from Tyneside. All the rest were Scottish, and very rare sights indeed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Having lived in Essex for 40 years I am having to go with Castle Hedingham. I never visited the persevered railway there. Whoops. 

I’m going to agree with Clive. I have bought the plates for this B2...just need to build the loco! And I have visited the railway which is just down the road from my Mum’s house.

6 hours ago, great northern said:

The only one was 60533, which was normally shedded at New England, with forays to Kings Cross and Grantham. York had 60526, but it wasn't common down south, and the same applied to 60538/9 which occasionally appeared from Tyneside. All the rest were Scottish, and very rare sights indeed.

How lovely, 60533 is the only weathered A2 I have at the moment.  I'm wondering if it was likely to have been seriously unkempt or just mildly so. In any event it's a lovely model.

here is mine with customary editing which bears no relation to actual shed protocols.

I am aware that this is your thread and fear I might be overdoing the  pictures which have no exact relevance, will happily remove 60533.

60533_A2_blower_on_5abc_crop3_r1820.jpg.8953a161bcdbf81a91dec66c4478ca98.jpg

Actually I'm quite curious about A2s at New England, and how the shed appeared as well as the engines, with a tendency to do rather generic pictures I am thinking, shock, horror, of doing images which depict a little more of reality.

Edit;  A little research in the 'Shed Bash' site shows a number of Thompson A2 regulars at New England, not least 60500 'Edward Thompson', 60504, 5, 6, 8, and the charmingly-named 60514 'Chamossaire',   but for the life of me I cannot find a clear photo of the shed frontage or frontages.  There is one photo of 60514 receiving total care, surely not New England?

60514_A2_shed2_r1820.jpg.62c830729a161e51547d53d6b8d2e288.jpg

Edited by robmcg
added comment
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, robmcg said:

How lovely, 60533 is the only weathered A2 I have at the moment.  I'm wondering if it was likely to have been seriously unkempt or just mildly so. In any event it's a lovely model.

here is mine with customary editing which bears no relation to actual shed protocols.

60533_A2_ready_for_traffic_1abcd_r1820.jpg.4d18ecde8da2a0efa2e2cb31f614d821.jpg

I am aware that this is your thread and fear I might be overdoing the  pictures which have no exact relevance, will happily remove 60533.

Actually I'm quite curious about A2s at New England, and how the shed appeared as well as the engines, with a tendency to do rather generic pictures I am thinking, shock, horror, of doing images which depict a little more of reality.

New England in the late 50s had two cleaners to deal with well over a hundred locomotives, so it isn't suprprising that most of the allocation was in various stages of filth. KX cleaned 533 up when it went there for the summer of 58, but that wouldn't have lasted long when it left there.

Just now, great northern said:

New England in the late 50s had two cleaners to deal with well over a hundred locomotives, so it isn't suprprising that most of the allocation was in various stages of filth. KX cleaned 533 up when it went there for the summer of 58, but that wouldn't have lasted long when it left there.

Thanks, while you wrote that I added a question to my post. Apologies, and thanks for the reply.

Castle Hedingham for me too. Rode the preserved line a couple of times and been in the castle.

A strange part of Essex as there are few railways. The area was largely served by branches and cross country lines that were closed. Commuters now have to drive to places like Elsenham,  Bishops Stortford and Braintree.

Martyn

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, mullie said:

Castle Hedingham for me too. Rode the preserved line a couple of times and been in the castle.

A strange part of Essex as there are few railways. The area was largely served by branches and cross country lines that were closed. Commuters now have to drive to places like Elsenham,  Bishops Stortford and Braintree.

Martyn

Or drive to Little Waltham, park their car where it is difficult for the residents to park and then cycle into Chelmsford on their fold up bike carried in the boot.

This strange car kept being parked outside my mate's house. One day he caught the bloke as he was loading the bike back into the car. He didn't return.

There is just outside Littlw Waltham a very popular park and ride car park which fills up by 7.30 with commuters cars, it is cheaper than parking in the station car park. My youngest son use to walk to it from the village as the bus fair from the park and ride was cheaper than the normal bus route through the village and a more frequent service. Same bus company.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1