Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of scope for facetiousness and frivolity here but I'll try to be serious (seriously?) and pick Albert Hall - a proper hall, not a glorified country house; home of some wonderful music (although perhaps not when our school choir performed there); and the Tri-ang Hornby model, of which I became a proud owner more than 50 years ago.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, great northern said:

Not so well up on our Lochs. Only 8 votes, 3 of which were for the winner, Loch Rannoch.

I'm starting to run out of ideas now. Today we will do Halls. Not region specific, any old Hall will do.

Any more suggestions folks? If not, this will be about the end of it, I think.

At least there was not a Loch Down, that would have won .

How about favourite mountain name, That could include the Highland Railway Bens as well as later names on the Peaks and class 60 so a wide range to choose from.

Cheers

David

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Just because I came across this while looking for something else - a postcard from Dad's 1920s LNER & constituents album. Most of the photos in the album are locos only,  some with trains but very few with scenery of any sort. I think that the striking buildings in the background must have grabbed the photographer's attention.

GNR cl O2 2 8 0 485 LNER cl O2 3485 Peterborough 13 8 1921.jpg

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, David Bell said:

At least there was not a Loch Down, that would have won .

How about favourite mountain name, That could include the Highland Railway Bens as well as later names on the Peaks and class 60 so a wide range to choose from.

Cheers

David

And then were were Rivers, six on the Highland and at least 20 on the Southern and I am sure there will be a few more in  between

Cogan Hall, because my maternal grandmother lived in a house in Penarth from which you could see the a distant view of the railway through Cogan station. I remember watching endless DMU's often 9 or even 12 coaches long rasping along the other side of the valley. I was quite young at the time and i remember the dmus were often a blue and green mix, must have been late sixties. And who could not be enchanted with a railway station called The Dingle (in Penarth) especially when you are 7!

Edited by David Bell

2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Just because I came across this while looking for something else - a postcard from Dad's 1920s LNER & constituents album. Most of the photos in the album are locos only,  some with trains but very few with scenery of any sort. I think that the striking buildings in the background must have grabbed the photographer's attention.

GNR cl O2 2 8 0 485 LNER cl O2 3485 Peterborough 13 8 1921.jpg

Cracking picture. A little bit of internet detective work identifies the factory belonging to Farrow's of Peterborough, advertising Mustard (top line), Green Peas (middle line) and Mushroom Ketchup (bottom line). Farrow's marrowfat peas still sold to this day (apparently)

http://letslookagain.com/2015/08/peas-in-our-time-a-history-of-joseph-farrow/

Edited by LNER4479
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Cracking picture. A little bit of internet detective work identifies the factory belonging to Farrow's of Peterborough, advertising Mustard (top line), Green Peas (middle line) and Mushroom Ketchup (bottom line). Farrow's marrowfat peas still sold to this day (apparently)

http://letslookagain.com/2015/08/peas-in-our-time-a-history-of-joseph-farrow/

In my yoof, there was a tv ad for Farrows. A cartoon crow lands and squawks "Where's my dinner?" and the voiceover says "Sorry, mate, you're too late - the best peas went to Farrows!"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

7920 Coney Hall. 

Unless there's a building with said name lurking somewhere in G*R territory, I can't see why aforementioned company (actually, BR(W) by time of building) would name a locomotive after a very small area of very suburban north-west Kent (as it was in those days, now south-east London)

• RMweb Premium

How about best Sheds for decent Cops in Regions? Or maybe best huge Shed and best Small Shed. 

How about a Shed from each region you would have loved to visit, but never did? Most difficult/easy to bunk?

Best sounding engine from each region? Best whistle sound.

Funniest Wagon name? Fave Pullman Car name. Fave coach design/ to ride in/ to avoid/livery.

Station names by Region and maybe in Categories chosen by Gilbert such as:

most beautiful architecturally; best for spotting variety; most boring ever visited; best for Buffet/Bar; Coldest; most gloomy; most comfortable for spotters; best for watching people; worst for being kicked off. 

Also; great Tunnel, Junction, Signal Box names? 

Must be other stuff? 

Ar$£

• Like 4

Mullie's post has reminded me that, many years ago, I appeared in a pageant at the Royal Albert Hall.  This was Boy Scout, written and produced by Ralph Reader, and I (and many others) played the parts of a football supporter, an Indian and a ghost Indian.   I seem to remember that an orange juice carton, filled with water and dropped from the top of the building, made a very satisfactory splash and noise on impact. 

In recent years Mrs 2750 and I have attended various concerts and ballet performances, particularly when able to book box seats.  Sadly, our latest booking has just been cancelled, having previously been rescheduled on two occasions. 

So rather than a B17, my choice also has to be Albert Hall.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Terry

What had you done wrong to end up in Thorpe Bay?

G'Day Folks

Came back from Australia !, had an Aunt that lived in Southend, she put us up for a while, Liked Thorpe Bay, bought a brand new house, filled the garage with a large model railway, when we came to sell and move on, the new (BR) Area Manager came to look at the house, I showed him the garage ( which still had the railway in it) took him ages to have a good look at it, his wife was getting a bit annoyed !!

manna

• Like 1
  • Funny 7