Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, great northern said:

Quad Arts 8, the rest nowhere. I wonder if those who travelled on them on a regular basis would have agreed though?

Today, post grouping ordinary corridor stock, not special/streamlined cars.

You didn’t specify best for customer comfort. If you had I might have gone for the GNR royal saloons! I was marking the quads parts on their fitness for the role intended. As a design to cram a lot of seats into the very short length available (imposed by the platform length constraints at Moorgate) they were fantastic. They also did so with a very modest weight per seat.

For this poll, I think I’ll skip over the obvious Gresley corridor stock and go for the Thompsons.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well I'm going to go straight down the middle and vote for classic Gresley teak stock. Difficult to define any sort of period for that as it was under continuous development from pre-WW1 GNR days. But, given the wonderful variety of such stock that we can call on for Grantham - largely the work of Jonathan Wealleans and Roy Mears, including several articulated examples - it gets my vote today.

(Silver Link pic courtesy Tony Wright)

Teak post-16151-0-03472500-1517266352_thumb.jpg

Teak post-16151-0-75382900-1522080715_thumb.jpg

Teak post-18225-0-71667200-1508837762_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Era is everything here. Maunsells looked and were rather good in the mid-20s when they first appeared, but were wholly out of date by 1945 when they still made up most of Southern's coach fleet. But Bulleid's ideas about coaching stock were equally a la mode when built, and seem to have influenced Mark 1 BR stock too. So Bulleid it is. 

Just a quick phone-pic.

IMG_4593.jpeg.c5dca595f896a05fe0eeda4717e63d44.jpeg

• Like 7