Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, great northern said:

Only a few votes in the latest poll, almost all for Thompson. For some reason those lavatory composites are among my favourite coaches, so I was pleased they got more than one mention.

Are we temporarily polled out again?  I suspect so, but I do want to keep this thread a two way process, so does anyone have any suggestions as to how we might achieve that?

In the meantime, can I ask you what you think were the most glaring omissions when It came to preserving steam locomotives?  To keep Clive interested, we will start with Midland Railway engines.

Thank you Gilbert, my nomination is for 58110, the last Kirtley 700 class 0-6-0 which survived in to BR ownership.

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/kirtley-locomotives-of-the-m-r-700-class-0-6-0.1285185/

It would have been nice to nominate a Deeley rebuild of a Johnson class 2 4-4-0 with a saturated Belpaire firebox, or a class 3 Belpaire 4-4-0 or a class 4 990 class 4-4-0 or a humble class 2 0-6-0 with a G6 boiler and Deeley cab.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

In the meantime, can I ask you what you think were the most glaring omissions when It came to preserving steam locomotives?  To keep Clive interested, we will start with Midland Railway engines.

My knowledge of Midland engines extends only to the fact that most had relatively tiny driving axle boxes (head full of useless knowledge as my wife says...) but I do like the 2P. So Midland 2P for me please Gilbert..

I think that, compared with other pre-group companies - notably LNWR - Midland has done quite well out of preservation. Compound No.1000 is a notable survivor (even if not original form), as are the gorgeous 'Single' and the 2-4-0 at Butterley. Add to that the 1F tanky (41708) at Barrow Hill and the KWVR 4F 43924 (notable as the first escapee from Barry scrapyard) and there can be few complaints.

If I were to nominate a type it would the unglamorous 3F 0-6-0 tender loco, the immediate forerunner of the 4F - and, by all accounts, a more highly-regarded example of the genre.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, 69843 said:

I'm biased in saying an A5 (FINALLY), but I think one really would have been an ideal tank loco for some of the larger NE groups without having to always resort to a pacific tender loco.

Not Midland though. Its time will come.

4 minutes ago, great northern said:

Not Midland though. Its time will come.

This is what happens when you enter a poll past 2AM and miss the Midland criteria!

In that case, The MR 700. A very interesting history, given their Continental connections both through the Italian Railways and the ROD. For a specific example, ROD 2717 which became stuck in No-Man's Land and was captured by the Germans before being recovered post-war.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Being in idle mode this morning, and having just finished duvet wrestling, I don't need to do a full count of yesterday's poll as the 3F is a clear and very comfortable winner.

I'm going to exercise minds and knowledge now, by asking for locomotives of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway which should have been preserved.

Yes, I'll go for the Hughes 4-6-0.

One of those enigmatic locos from the late pre-grouping period that should have delivered more than they did. As a four cylinder machine, they certainly had enough power on paper but inadequate bearing surfaces (apparently) let them down. This wasn't so much of a problem for the shorter runs in their home territory but was horribly exposed when they were tried out on the WCML in the early LMS period north of Preston - there were quickly returned from whence they came!

My Stepfather went on the final run of the class, a trip from Blackpool to York and back in 1951, loco 50455. They looked better proportioned with the larger tender.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I didn't respond on the Midland, as my knowledge of that railway is poor, but the L&Y is a different matter. There are three main contenders in my mind:

- The Aspinall "High Flyer" 4-4-2s.

- Hughes 4-6-0

- Hughes 4-6-4T.

As I like big tank locos, my vote goes to the Hughes 4-6-4T.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

I didn't respond on the Midland, as my knowledge of that railway is poor, but the L&Y is a different matter. There are three main contenders in my mind:

- The Aspinall "High Flyer" 4-4-2s.

- Hughes 4-6-0

- Hughes 4-6-4T.

As I like big tank locos, my vote goes to the Hughes 4-6-4T.

Regards

Chris H

Good choice Chris.

I too am voting for a Hughes Baltic Tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Hughes_4-6-4T#/media/File:Hughes_Dreadnought_4-6-4T,_11114_(Wonder_Book_of_Engineering_Wonders,_1931).jpg

• Like 1