Peterborough North

great northern

I have two options.

Clearly the Dreadnought 4-6-0s deserve some mention as they as they were imposing machines, even if not engineered that well. I've built two Millholme kits so they have a place in my heart. One for me and one for a mate, which I have now got back.

2071317584_DSC_1565pss.jpg.f016b9626c898e661b9f7b9c39db8aef.jpg

The other is the steam railmotor. The last of its type to run in Britain, with the last being withdrawn in 1948. I've also built one of these from the Jidenco kit (lets not start that conversation though) for the same mate, which I've also got back now. In the end it came out quite well but did involve a lot of scratch-building.

939419986_DSC_3246pss.jpg.783edd428c443d4a198d6830cc25442c.jpg

In the end my vote goes for the steam railmotor as there are no other examples of the classic steam rail motors preserved (discounting the GWR rebuild), other than here in South Australia.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
added comment
  • Like 15

55 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

There's one in Switzerland, which I rode on in 1982, but it's only a four-wheeler not a bogie vehicle.

https://www.lococarriage.org.uk/Swiss19-21 Uerikon-Bauma Bahn .JPG

John what I was trying to say was there are no others except the SAR example which to me is a classic steam railmotor (at least that I know of) where the loco section looks like a loco, like a lot of the early British examples, eg GNR, LYR, LSWR etc. That's why I discounted the GWR rebuild - not because it was a rebuild - to me its a box, well a carriage in this case, on wheels.

Hence why preserving a LYR example would have been so good.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A good response to the LYR, and a close finish, a tie in fact, 4-4 for the 4.6.0 and the Baltic tank.

Staying over on that side of the country, what is the glaring omission in the ranks of preserved locomotives of the London and North Western Railway?

6 minutes ago, great northern said:

A good response to the LYR, and a close finish, a tie in fact, 4-4 for the 4.6.0 and the Baltic tank.

Staying over on that side of the country, what is the glaring omission in the ranks of preserved locomotives of the London and North Western Railway?

A Claughton

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There are too many LNWR locos that fit the good looking category. Even Mr Webb's 0-8-0 compounds, despite expecting Jimmy Durante too be sat at the front singing "Playing My Piana" had that family likeness.

I suppose the Prince of Wales class was the ultimate perfection of the family line and one should have been saved.

Too many to cite just one! The LNWR was once the largest joint stock company in the Kingdom and built literally thousands of locomotives. Yet it was a particular victim of the ruthless LMS 1930s standardisation policy (albeit much-needed). As a result, only the Super D 0-8-0 and Coal tank 0-6-2T types lasted in any numbers into BR day. Fortunately, one of each of those is preserved. But, as for the rest, the last survivors of the Claughton, Precursor and Prince of Wales types were all cut up at Crewe without ceremony in 1949, a loss that resonates with many LNWR fans to this day.

I'm tempted to also go with the Claughton but I think I'll plump for the George the Fifth 4-4-0. Apparently they were quite decent locos - better than some of their larger contemporary 4-6-0 cousins. Loco No.1800 'Coronation' of 1911 (hence - presumably? - the name) was the 5,000th loco built at Crewe Works and was paraded alongside its rather larger 1937 successor as part of the LMS publicity film for the launch of the Coronation Scot.

There's a project to create a new loco (a la Tornado) so maybe, one day, the world will get to see one in action again?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I suppose the Prince of Wales class was the ultimate perfection of the family line and one should have been saved.

And there was me thinking you'd be chancing another yellow card by nominating the Oerlikon 650vDC stock for the Watford services?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

And there was me thinking you'd be chancing another yellow card by nominating the Oerlikon 650vDC stock for the Watford services?

There is one persevered, so it would been eliminated form the voting system.  :secret:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1