Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, robmcg said:

Sounds a bit like a flu jab, which may be because there are some similarities.  Glad you are ok.

Can we have more of Rothesay? I have just bought Bill Hoole's biography and he was the driver in 1947 ? leaving Edinburgh on the up fast and Rothesay derailed the rear axle of the front bogie in short tunnel at 70mph and went 110 metres destroying track the eventually engine turned on its side and under a bridge and he survived, the poor fireman didn't. 11-on, no passengers killed.

In any event I am having a Thompson craze.

I know that Duke of Rothesay did derail and overturn in the late 40s, but it was down in the London suburbs. There are photos of the aftermath.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, great northern said:

Difficult decision on this poll. Cardean got 4 votes to Wemyss Bay tanks 3...... but as Clive has been making the rules ever more flexible, what if I was to say that Graham's suggestion of the lovely Pickersgill 4.4.0s won, on account of the fact that the photo he put up got 5 likes?  No? Oh alright then.

To the dry side today, and the North British Railway. I wonder what Clive can dream up this time?

For today's nomination I have selected LNER No. 9875 a class H Atlantic. It was going to be preserved but sadly in WW2 it was scrapped.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, great northern said:

I know that Duke of Rothesay did derail and overturn in the late 40s, but it was down in the London suburbs. There are photos of the aftermath.

Wicky Pedia :- On 17 July 1948, locomotive No. 60508 Duke of Rothesay was hauling a passenger train when it became derailed inside Barnet Tunnel, Hertfordshire due to a combination of faulty track and excessive speed. The whole train was subsequently derailed on points at New Southgate, London. One person was killed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

For today's nomination I have selected LNER No. 9875 a class H Atlantic. It was going to be preserved but sadly in WW2 it was scrapped.

Another votefor 9875 - or another member of the NBR Class H.

Although the NBR had some handsome 4-4-2T locos they wern't in the same league as the other big tank locos I've voted for.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Undoubtedly handsome, and also still with us in the shape of Maude. I am so glad Hornby chose to release this model!

20210128_125113.jpg

What are the coaches behind, David (not the blue and grey ones right at the back!)?

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

What are the coaches behind, David (not the blue and grey ones right at the back!)?

They are Hornby CR coaches from a limited edition set which included CR123 and a further coach. They are of course hopelessly inaccurate but the livery is well done. I plan to remove the mk1 ends and bogies and replace them and they need an interior too. It is a task a long way down on the to do list!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Another vote for the lost NBR Atlantic No.9875. The type were used on the Waverley route pre-war and some were allocated to Carlisle Canal shed so I could even have one on my Carlisle as a 'funny' loco. There's a thought ...

Now it would be rude for someone to say that last time they looked at Grantham the Streamliner Years there are lots of funny loco's. Thy are all in a strange green.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Another vote for the lost NBR Atlantic No.9875. The type were used on the Waverley route pre-war and some were allocated to Carlisle Canal shed so I could even have one on my Carlisle as a 'funny' loco. There's a thought ...

Well I know of somebody (not me) who is proposing to build a model of a Reid Atlantic using a suitably altered resin B3 boiler and one or two of the fittings, so if you really want one and cannot get hold of the classic whitemetal kit, you know what to do...

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now it would be rude for someone to say that last time they looked at Grantham the Streamliner Years there are lots of funny loco's. Thy are all in a strange green.

Should it seem at all short of funny locos, do let me know and I'll do something about it.

• Friendly/supportive 1