Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

A bit confusing, all these Js Ks Ls, plus some Es and Rs, but L came out on top with 4 votes.

And so to the London and South Western Railway. And another reminder that we are looking for the most glaring omission from preservation.

I'll go for a Paddlebox, which was T14 (I think).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I'll go for a Paddlebox, which was T14 (I think).

Like this you mean?

1956183976_JidencoPaddlebox.jpg.b0ecadd1487aaca6f5c9f48113803d17.jpg

On this occasion, despite being a 'suvvern' company, I feel a little bit more knowledgeable about the LSWR, partly due to this loco build project from 20 years ago. So I'll vote for a Paddlebox as well, although I'm not sure whether it's actually a 'much missed' / iconic loco? One of those pre-grouping attempts to 'crack' the 4-cyl 4-6-0 concept that only the pre-group GWR actually managed successfully.

(did I actually just say that?)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

One of those pre-grouping attempts to 'crack' the 4-cyl 4-6-0 concept that only the pre-group GWR actually managed successfully.

(did I actually just say that?)

I think that’s perfectly fair. Trouble is they then stood (more or less) still for 25 years!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think that’s perfectly fair. Trouble is they then stood (more or less) still for 25 years!

Though people neglect to consider that Churchward was so ahead of the ball at the early 20th century that the other 3 companies were peddling hard to catch up for more than 25 years.

• Agree 1

When I was about 10. I was obsessed with T .14 Paddleboxes . I spent countless hours drawing them , or variations of them . I couldn’t believe that such lovely looking engines could have been scrapped before I knew anything about them . Time moved on and my affections changed over the years, but for old times sake the T14 gets my vote today

2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Though people neglect to consider that Churchward was so ahead of the ball at the early 20th century that the other 3 companies were peddling hard to catch up for more than 25 years.

Wouldn't disagree with that ... although I always say that the best product ever to come out of Swindon was given away to the LMS in 1932.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Wouldn't disagree with that ... although I always say that the best product ever to come out of Swindon was given away to the LMS in 1932.

And a wonderful product he was. He was honest enough to admit his designs were effectively pure Swindon under the LMS clothing 

Is it too late to vote for a Thompson O1 as the most worthy engine and model which was never saved?  Narrowly ahead of the LNER 02.

I'm a bit slow, you know....  :)

Edited by robmcg
typo and addition.

23 hours ago, great northern said:

A last look at 60030, off on its way to New England for a rest.

1816035669_3303.JPG.d1adea358c994c7469f98a3dcd9c223e.JPG

Tiny shafts of light sneaking through the blinds, if you are wondering what caused those peculiar bands on the tender.

Actually Gilbert those types of reflection are exactly what occurred in the real world and are almost never captured in photos of models.  Beautiful photography.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, great northern said:

A bit confusing, all these Js Ks Ls, plus some Es and Rs, but L came out on top with 4 votes.

And so to the London and South Western Railway. And another reminder that we are looking for the most glaring omission from preservation.

Wot, twice in a week I have picked the winner, I must be doing something wrong.

I am going to vote for a G16 4-8-0T. Only because one of the LSWR EMUs has been persevered.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Big tanks versus Paddlebox this time. T14 pulled away with 8 votes to win comfortably.

Right, we've been to the North, and to the North West, then flew down South, but I think the time has come to turn our attention to the East, where things will get more difficult, not least because so shamefully few  locomotives from the dry side were saved. We will start with the North Eastern Railway, and another reminder that we are after the most glaring omission from the very substantial ranks of locomotives from that Company.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, great northern said:

Big tanks versus Paddlebox this time. T14 pulled away with 8 votes to win comfortably.

Right, we've been to the North, and to the North West, then flew down South, but I think the time has come to turn our attention to the East, where things will get more difficult, not least because so shamefully few  locomotives from the dry side were saved. We will start with the North Eastern Railway, and another reminder that we are after the most glaring omission from the very substantial ranks of locomotives from that Company.

Easy peasy....a B16

• Agree 1

Good choice. NER does at least have some reasonable representation in preservation, partly due to the more history / publicity conscious efforts of the LNER (aware of the S&D heritage) and also NELPG at the end of steam. However, many classes still to choose from.

By all accounts, the 'Z' Atlantics were highly thought of so I'll go for that type. Although I suspect the B16 will feature highly in this one...