Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

This is the one I’ve been waiting for, and it’s incredibly difficult to pick just the one locomotive that was not preserved and is, as a result, a glaring omission. B16’s D20’s, G5’s, B13’s, J25’s, F8’s, Atlantic ‘s. Of course there’s the electric locomotives too, and EMU’s for the Tyneside electric lines. And those are just some of so many candidates. 
Well, after such a lot of thought and consideration, I’ve decided to vote for what became LNER and  BR class N8. A lovely class of tank engine, and I have a photo’ of number 76 as it pulls away from Driffield, in the mid 1930’s on a ‘Malton Dodger’ train to Malton. But like I said, all those other classes deserved to be preserved, and it was a crying shame that they were not saved.

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 3

Whilst the B16 is a good shout, there are a lot of black 4-6-0s in preservation. 

One of the first issues of Railway Modeller my Dad and I took (April 1954?) contained a drawing of a NE Z class Atlantic.  This really appealed to me because of its size and elegance and I pleaded with him to build me one!  Many years later, I bought a kit built one in LNER green livery, no 714, from a shop near Goodge Street. 

So my vote has to go to the Z class Atlantic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll probably end up on the naughty step, but for me the biggest omission from the preserved suite of NER locos has to be the NER "Shildon - Newport" Bo-Bo electric locos (LNER class EF1 / EB1) - which represented the true advanced thinking and "go-ahead" nature of the NER.

I would have voted for NER 2-Co-2 (or 4-6-4 in Steam-speak) No.13, but it never got the opportunity to do any real work, so the freight Bo-Bos have to take prime spot.

Pity BR disposed of No.13 in 1950 and the last of the EB1s in 1964 !!!

If I had to vote for an NER steam loco it would be the "D" class 4-4-4T - another smart big tank loco.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tank: J72, because the Newcastle and York Station Pilots were superb in their lovely lined green livery.

I believe they were also still produced as late as 1951? Might be totally wrong here.

Tender: Q6, because it was the Tyneside workhorse and I saw them at Consett in 1960/61.

P

Now I thought that this would be the easiest poll for me but........so many that I like to choose from:rolleyes:

The electrics are tempting, the Raven A2 - a personal favourite, the T1 4-8-0 a more obscure choice, any of the 4-6-0s, how about a G6? Etc,etc

Anyway my final choice is between the Z class Atlantic or the R class 4-4-0 (D20). In the end I vote for the D20 please... a good strong, elegant workhorse.

Jon

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Tank: J72, because the Newcastle and York Station Pilots were superb in their lovely lined green livery.

I believe they were also still produced as late as 1951? Might be totally wrong here.

Tender: Q6, because it was the Tyneside workhorse and I saw them at Consett in 1960/61.

P

But both have preserved examples Phil, and we are looking for classes which should have been, but weren't.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, westerner said:

You mean a J something of other, John

Quite possibly, Alan. I had in mind something like this lovely model by Paul Gallon @Worsdell forever of this parish...

...but I now find that one has in fact been preserved:

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co205734/ner-0-6-0-1001-class-steam-locomotive-and-tender-no-1275-1874-steam-locomotive

so I'll have to think of something else.