Peterborough North

great northern

A difficult choice. 

The Jersey Lilies were reputedly one of the best looking engines of their generation, though personally I prefer the 4-6-0 version or an Immingham, and the A5 is a classic big tank engine.  However, the B3s must take my vote for their puissant appearance, and Valour had a double claim for preservation, being a war memorial as well as an impressive locomotive. 

I wonder why the LNER didn't take this action, though they didn't include Robinson amongst the named A1s either.

• RMweb Gold

The M&GN Hudswell Clarke 4-4-0Ts were rather nice.  I once built one in 4mm scale (Jidenco Kit).  I've also built one in O gauge using parts from Loveless, a few years ago now.

A GCR B2 Sir Sam Fay for me.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We like our GC engines, well, most of us anyway.  3 votes for B2, 4 for B3, and Valour in particular, but the clear winner with 8 votes was the A5 tank.

I think this finally brings us to the Great Northern Railway, and locomotives of that illustrious Company built before the grouping.  What is the most gaping hole in the development of GN power which is missing in the preservation scene?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh Golly, GN time.  And you say we only have one choice?

I agree that a model of the J6 is long overdue, given the number of pre-grouping 0-6-0s recently released or announced, but there are other classes perhaps more worthy of preservation.  The fact there is only one non-streamlined Gresley pacific preserved argues strongly that an original A1 should have been preserved.  The K3 and O2 have claims for pioneering 3 cylinder propulsion (and conjugated valve gear).  However, I am drawn to the earlier 2-6-0s, which have a claim to be the first  modern mixed traffic engine (as they had outside valve gear). 

The original K1s were rebuilt with larger boilers to become K2 so my choice has to be the latter.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Matty P said:

That's a great looking model, wish Hornby would do a model of 62613 (or even 62618 in BR Green...) ever hopeful. Is that the PDK kit?

Now you're asking! It is over 20 years old, and I honestly can't remember. Has there been another kit?  I think on balance it probably is PDK.

• Like 1