Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

There was  a Mallard kit of the valanced D16.   Not built one so I can't say whether that is one or not.

Definitely PDK. I can say that with confidence, having remembered belatedly that I have a spreadsheet which tells me such things.

• Funny 1

K3 for me. Very much the mixed traffic workhorse in the pre-war period, the V2s only coming on stream in squadron numbers in war time. Which is why we only have a couple of V2s on the roster for Grantham but plenty of K3s.

The A1SLT has an eye on a K3 as Lot 4 or Lot 5 so maybe, one day ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s not fair. We need more than one vote for the GNR! The K2 is worthy for the reasons given by Papyrus. I’ll omit the K3 on the basis that there is a preserved K4 and that’s basically the same engine with smaller wheels otherwise it would be a clear winner. But it comes down to two magnificent designs - the J6 and the C12 which I find it very difficult to chose between. In the end I’ll go C12 as there are very few Atlantic tanks from any company preserved. 

• RMweb Gold

After a lot of thought I'm going for a K3.

When I was young I spent a lot of time trainspotting around Nottingham and Grantham, so I have many favourite loco classes which I saw and wish had been preserved.

David

• RMweb Premium

All the locos already mentioned are good contenders and I was very tempted by the C12 4-4-2T and the L1 0-8-2T - but I keep coming back to the 2-6-0s as being the real missing link.

After weighing the pros and cons between the 2 cylinder and 3 cylinder 2-6-0s, my vote goes to the K3.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

Very close this time, in fact no clear winner. K3 5 C12 5 J6 4 K2 3.

Personally I feel that the lack on any of the long line of GN 0.6.0s leaves a real gap which should have been filled. That is despite my well known affection for C12s.

Today I shall be inclusive, and invite votes concering any other pre grouping Company not specifically dealt with so far. The Furness and the Highland have been mentioned, as has my selfish monopoly of the M&GN. Over to you.

• Like 1

I don't think we did G&SWR did we?

Of all the Baltic tank designs that appeared, I thought theirs looked the most stylish and striking, with their burnished steel boiler casing:

image.png.f7014246ba486ee05bd12e1c929dd31c.png

If we already G&SWR and I've already voted for the type then I apologise for premature senility :crazy:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Of all the Baltic tank designs that appeared, I thought theirs looked the most stylish and striking, with their burnished steel boiler casing:

If we already G&SWR and I've already voted for the type then I apologise for premature senility :crazy:

That's a an impressive looking loco but the boiler looks long.  What was their steaming like?

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

That was my second choice!

I've missed out looking in today of all days, until now. I have been torn between K3 and C12 - couldn't make up my mind and then I saw they tied.

It is quite possible we'll see a K3 eventually from A1SLT. So in the end I would have gone for C12.

Andrew