Peterborough North

great northern

3 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

That's a an impressive looking loco but the boiler looks long.  What was their steaming like?

According to Wikipedia:

'In service the locomotives performed very well on express passenger trains between Glasgow St Enoch and the Ayrshire coast towns or Kilmarnock, however they were expensive to maintain.'

In practice, they were a class of only 6 locos, delivered right on the eve of the grouping. So they were never very likely to survive the 1930s Stanier standardisation policy and so it proved, withdrawn as their boilers came due for renewal, last one going in Sept 1936.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Dear Mr Great Northern,

I cannot recall you having an opinion poll on the loveliest 25 KV ac Electric Locomotives. 

We all know they are good looking and handsome but the most sexiest of them all has to be the AL5.

Class AL5 electric locomotive No E3068

From John Evans Flickr page.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

For today's poll, out of devilment,  I nearly voted for the GWR Bulldog. However, after some consideration, and as I still wish to be welcome on Gilbert's thread my vote will be another for the handsome Metropolitan Railway K Class 2-6-4T.

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dear Mr Great Northern,

I cannot recall you having an opinion poll on the loveliest 25 KV ac Electric Locomotives. 

We all know they are good looking and handsome but the most sexiest of them all has to be the AL5.

Class AL5 electric locomotive No E3068

From John Evans Flickr page.

I rather like the Swiss Re 460 locomotives and you are going to say those are not 25kv and you would be right. Attached is 25kv though and it looks the same. Sorry for drifting off topic!

VR electric locomotives.jpg

• Like 2

I also thought about the Metropolitan. 

I think maybe London Transport would have preserved one or two more Met steam locos if the LNER hadn't taken over steam operated services and the locos that pulled them, as they were largely responsible for the spread of "Metroland" out into rural Middlesex and Buckinghamshire.

From the several classes, I will go for the 4-4-4 tank engine - an unusual wheel arrangement which looks well balanced.

• RMweb Premium

Not many votes in this poll, but almost half of them were for a Metropolitan 2.6.4T.

Now we come to post grouping locomotives, either built or rebuilt after 1923, and right up to the end of steam. No blue lecktrickity things. Again we are looking for glaring gaps in preservation, and we will start with the LMS.

Not a lot to choose from in today’s poll. The biggest gap in LMS preserved locomotive motive power is the original Patriot but a replica is being built. The rebuilt Patriot was basically a Royal Scot with a different cab. There are no representatives of either the Fowler of the Stanier 2-6-2s but by all accounts neither of these were much good. Then there is the Fowler 7F 0-8-0 but these seem to have been badly let down by using bearings off the Midland 4F.

I know it’s a controversial choice but I would plump for 6202 the Turbomotive, as whilst nominally a member of the Princess class it was an attempt to revolutionise the steam locomotive and accounts indicate that it did work fairly well but was plagued by its status as a one-off locomotive and the difficulty in getting parts resulting in long periods out of traffic.

Ooh, goody - the LMS ('ell of a mess).

Not too many gaping gaps; the Patriot will fill the most notable.

I think I too will go with the Fowler 2-6-4T. The first in a line that transmogrified through Stanier, Fairburn and ultimately BR Standard 80xxx. By all accounts, one of the better pre-Stanier LMS types.

(There is indeed an intention to build a new one but, until metal is cut, it's just an intention.  They've got to finish the Patriot first!)

(Oh, and whilst I'm on, an honourable mention for the Irish version, No.4, in the care of RPSI. They talk about building another one so maybe some commonality with the LMS new-build there in the future?)

DSC09245.JPG

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5