Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I think there is a problem with the W1 as originally built. Given that its development must have cost a significant amount of money, and the economic situation in the 30s, is it likely that the Directors would or indeed could have countenanced it having been withdrawn and placed in a museum?

2 hours ago, David Bell said:

I will go with the V4.

A good call that I didn’t think about. A perfect loco to take 6 coaches economically and efficiently on a preserved line.

So it gets my vote as well

• RMweb Premium

Sad news people: Bigwordsmith's daughters post on his FB acct 

Hi everyone, this is Peter's daughter Gemma. I just wanted to inform everyone that Peter caught covid over Christmas, and after a short battle passed away on the 6th Jan

Rip Smiffy. Sad days.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sad news people: Bigwordsmith's daughters post on his FB acct 

Hi everyone, this is Peter's daughter Gemma. I just wanted to inform everyone that Peter caught covid over Christmas, and after a short battle passed away on the 6th Jan

Rip Smiffy. Sad days.

Very sad news. Lovely chap, but his medical condition put him at very high risk, and so I've worried about him throughout.We will remember him.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the Loco vote, I find the rebuilt W1 tempting - as it paid for paternal Grandfather's one "Post-retirement" shift in Westwood Box (from which he retired  a few months before) when it laid on its side and stopped just at the bottom of the box stairs. grandfather went to see what was going on, then took over the box and organised the working of the main-line trains through the signalled roads in New England yard - after getting medical attention for his ex colleague, who was suffering deep shock.

The V4 and the P2 - a later one with Bugatti streamlined front end - are also very tempting candidates.

But on further consideration I concluded that my vote goes for the V3 3 cylinder 2-6-2T loco.

Sad to hear that Peter Smith's demise.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Probably the most under-represented group of locos yet, I guess because the majority were broken up quickly at main works instead of being sold to places such as Barry.  Out of 168 non-streamlined Pacifics, only 2 were preserved (and 1 new build), with 1 out of 184 V2s.  Comparing them with the numbers of preserved Black 5s, Castles and Bulleid Pacifics, there could be an argument for adding to a class already preserved. 

However, rules is rules.  My next favourite locos are:-

i) the B17, a good honest looking loco without the taper boiler favoured by some designers

ii) the V4, a pretty but powerful loco

iii) the P1, the heavy goods equivalent of the Pacifics, but ahead of their time.  Was it Bulleid who described them as the best looking of Gresley's designs?

I'm afraid Mr Thompson didn't do a lot for my favourites, particularly as he rebuilt and renamed Manchester City!  Both the B17 and V4 are the subject of new build programmes so maybe I should exclude those from my choices.  However, if we were to address new builds as a topic, I would nominate the W1 in original (compound with water tube boiler) condition, as I believe that  a team like the A1 Trust could resolve the problems of the original.

So , by a process of elimination, my nomination has to be the P1.

Edited by 2750Papyrus
finger trouble
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Probably the most under-represented group of locos yet, I guess because the majority were broken up quickly at main works instead of being sold to places such as Barry.  Out of 168 non-streamlined Pacifics, only 2 were preserved (and 1 new build), with 1 out of 184 V2s.  Comparing them with the numbers of preserved Black 5s, Castles and Bulleid Pacifics, there could be an argument for adding to a class already preserved. 

However, rules is rules.  My next favourite locos are:-

i) the B17, a good honest looking loco without the taper boiler favoured by some designers

ii) the V4, a pretty but powerful loco

iii) the P1, the heavy goods equivalent of the Pacifics, but ahead of their time.  Was it Bulleid who described them as the best looking of Gresley's designs?

I'm afraid Mr Thompson didn't do a lot for my favourites, particularly as he rebuilt and renamed Manchester City!  Both the B17 and V4 are the subject of new build programmes so maybe I should exclude those from my choices.  However, if we were to address new builds as a topic, I would nominate the W1 in original (compound with water tube boiler) condition, as I believe that  a team like the A1 Trust could resolve the problems of the original.

So , by a process of elimination, my nomination has to be the P1.

I would love to see a new Hush Hush from the A1 trust. It would be the only working std gauge compound in the country. I've often wondered if it could be fitted with a conventional high pressure boiler, or a varient of the very successful boiler fitted to Tornado, with 2 more under construction. I'm certain that it would be  hugely popular both with the public, enthusiasts and importantly, covenantors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

B17 won with 6 votes, W1 and P1 got 3 each. However, not one single vote for a rebuilt Claud (D16/3).:sad_mini2:

Our next efforts will be to identify the most stupid and short sighted line closures that have taken place. No doubt the Beeching report will feature large, but there were others too.

Starting at the top, as it were, main lines in Scotland. We will look at minor routes later. Clearly those that have since been reopened or proposed for reopening qualify.

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

That would have been no 3 on my list, David!

I did see a little bit of it towards the end. I went to university in Aberdeen in 1979 so the drive North was always by way of Coupar Angus which saw the odd freight at that time.All gone within a couple of years though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, David Bell said:

I did see a little bit of it towards the end. I went to university in Aberdeen in 1979 so the drive North was always by way of Coupar Angus which saw the odd freight at that time.All gone within a couple of years though.

I went (or, more precisely, was stationary) on a tiny bit of it. I had to go to a failed class 47/7 at Stanley Junction that had been shunted off the Highland line on to the old Strathmore line. We couldn't fix it there and then but I do recall sheltering in the signal box from an almighty thunderstorm.

Anyway, we digress.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Our next efforts will be to identify the most stupid and short sighted line closures that have taken place. No doubt the Beeching report will feature large, but there were others too.

Starting at the top, as it were, main lines in Scotland. We will look at minor routes later. Clearly those that have since been reopened or proposed for reopening qualify.

Well that's quite hard because, sadly, in the cold light of day, by no means all closures were truly 'stupid and short sighted'. Or at least they were probably the best decision given the circumstances at the time - and those circumstances can have changed fundamentally over the last 50 years.

Personally, I would have loved to take a ride over the rail route from Stirling (Dunblane), through Callander, up Glen Ogle to Crainlarich, having changed at Killin Junction for the amble down to Loch Tay. But would that be a viable railway route in today's world?

If that doesn't count, then I'll go for the Waverley route! A great thrill to have a ride behind No.9 over Falahill to Galashiels and Tweedbank in 2015.

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5512.JPG

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7