Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

In terms of a line I’d like to have travelled over then definitely the Callander &Oban. But the question said stupid and shortsighted. So on the basis it’s been partly reopened, I’ll go for the Waverley. Even then, I’m not convinced it was stupid at that time.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 hours ago, great northern said:

We've seen both sides of WP Allen, so now here is the front.

1021623485_101144.JPG.7a2a9263f0817529a5f81331552fe000.JPG

There was a time when this engine was cleaned, you know.  Dark satanic mills notwithstanding.

Picture of clean W P Allen removed as irrelevant

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 8

The Strathmore line for me. I do remember that when my Grandmother, who lived in Arbroath, came to visit us in Cheshire she caught the local train to Forfar and changed there for a train south. As a very small child this seemed a curious way to go but was it possible to get from Forfar to Crewe directly in the fifties?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Waverley route won by a distance.  When I talked about stupid decisions, I was taking into the account the brief that Beeching was given, which as I understand it was merely to cut costs so that BR broke even. No consideration of social needs, or of the contributions minor lines made as feeder lines into the main routes, or, it seems, any thought of projecting onwards and considering possible future needs.

I accept that some lines were hopelessly uneconomic from the day they opened, but a lot of those had been culled well before Beeching was asked to wield his axe. Looking now at pinch points, overcrowded trains etc, it just seems plain wrong to me. And we aren't considering major routes which were reduced to two tracks, some of which have already had to be restored to four at huge expense.

So, can we move along to the North West of England today, and take factors such as those I have outlined into account?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, great northern said:

So, can we move along to the North West of England today, and take factors such as those I have outlined into account?

Ooh - my old stamping ground! Plenty to go at in this part of the land.

However, I'm immediately going to test the boundaries - Does the Peak District mainline through Monsal Dale and Millers Dale count as the 'North West'? I'm not sure whether you're going to do 'Midlands' or something like that, in which case the direct Derby-Manchester line is right on the boundary?

A ruling is required - if the above line is 'out' for today, then I've plenty of others to nominate elsewhere ...

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Ooh - my old stamping ground! Plenty to go at in this part of the land.

However, I'm immediately going to test the boundaries - Does the Peak District mainline through Monsal Dale and Millers Dale count as the 'North West'? I'm not sure whether you're going to do 'Midlands' or something like that, in which case the direct Derby-Manchester line is right on the boundary?

A ruling is required - if the above line is 'out' for today, then I've plenty of others to nominate elsewhere ...

No, that's North Midlands Graham, unless of course you work for the BBC, who consider Lincolnshire to be in the North of the country.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

No, that's North Midlands Graham, unless of course you work for the BBC, who consider Lincolnshire to be in the North of the country.

OK, no worries.

I suspect Woodhead will poll well but I'll go for one that's indisputably in the North West:

The Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith railway. 

Final closure as agonisingly recently as 1972,  could it play a role today, serving the North Lakes? I'd love to have travelled on it, that's for sure. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

For today's poll the Midland line from Lancaster to Heysham and Morecombe.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

As a southerner now exiled in Lincolnshire I agree with the BBC. They think I talk funny, they haven't heard themselves.

:punish:

Chip shops don't have Wallies, and where are the eel and pie shops? So must be up North.

• Like 2