Peterborough North

great northern

I will vote for the Woodhead route as well.

If we accept the argument that there was insufficient traffic to justify multiple routes between Manchester and Sheffield, I still do not understand the justification for closing the electrified route.  (It used to be said that we were the only country in Europe to close an electrified main line between two major cities.)  I find the argument regarding the age of the1500v DC equipment hard to swallow.  Replacement equipment to this standard could have been built, and there was precedent with the Shenfield electrification for upgrading to high voltage AC, possibly adopting the lower 6.25 kV level.

I believe that there are now capacity issues with the Hope Valley route.  Was there a good reason for choosing Woodhead for closure, or was the decision made by those with loyalties to the old MR/LMS?

• RMweb Gold

My vote is also for Woodhead as it seems like a crying shame that it was closed and the reason given as old/time expired infrastructure. It was a great opportunity to rebuild to full modern standards as it was already electrified and any other line had to be completely reengineered to get to a level Woodhead was already at.

Gilbert,

Every time I hit the first page of your thread one phrase jumps out at me, along the lines of " I am not getting any younger" Well here we are, 11 years and nearly 2 million views later, you seem to be soldiering on pretty well. Thanks for the daily fix.

Cheers

David

• Like 4

21 hours ago, great northern said:

But a bit irrelevant to this thread, don't you think?

I have removed the pic of the clean 60114, even though 8 people liked it and you had just done a few pics of W P Allen at PN,  point taken.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Whichever had this viaduct wins my vote...

belah_viaduct_by_jamesdean3500_dcitjcd-fullview.jpg.b29ae71cf7ced2339b9272b7f5323236.jpg

I do agree that the Woodhead closure was a crime. 1500 V DC is quite usable in this day and age, although obviously not ideal.

That'll be the Belah viaduct on the South Durham and Lancashire Union, so part of it comes under North East (it was part of the NER).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Durham_and_Lancashire_Union_Railway

Just down the road from Bleath Gill

However, the vote from the Figworthy jury is for the Woodhead route.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robmcg said:

I have removed the pic of the clean 60114, even though 8 people liked it and you had just done a few pics of W P Allen at PN,  point taken.

Rob, I have no wish to fall out with you, or with anyone else for that matter, but the time had come for a reminder. This is my thread, and is mainly about my layout. I take photographs of my layout with my camera, and I photoshop them. I do not photoshop other people's images, and in general terms I do not put images on other people's threads.

You do have a tendency to do that, and probably without realising you are doing it, you begin to do it more frequently. I think that is why the complaints that have caused you distress in the past have been made.

The connection that made you feel that a photoshopped image of a blue A1 was appropriate to put on here was tenuous, to say the least, and I have to say that it did irritate me. The fact that it got 8 likes is irrelevant. It had nothing to do with my layout, or anything we were discussing. You are welcome on here, but I do ask that you keep within the bounds which I consider to be reasonable.

• Friendly/supportive 3

When I first read the subject of the latest poll yesterday (here in Oz) I started to write Woodhead but then I didn't think it qualified as I think of the NW as north of Manchester

However, clearly it does fit so it certainly gets my vote. So Woodhead it is for me.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, David Bell said:

Gilbert,

Every time I hit the first page of your thread one phrase jumps out at me, along the lines of " I am not getting any younger" Well here we are, 11 years and nearly 2 million views later, you seem to be soldiering on pretty well. Thanks for the daily fix.

Cheers

David

Unfortunately, as my body constantly reminds me, I am definitely eleven years older. The grunts and groans as I duck under the baseboards get louder every year. As you say though, just keep soldiering on.

• Friendly/supportive 6