Peterborough North

great northern

13 hours ago, great northern said:

Unfortunately, as my body constantly reminds me, I am definitely eleven years older. The grunts and groans as I duck under the baseboards get louder every year. As you say though, just keep soldiering on.

I first read that as  just keep soldering on.  But I guess that's TW.....

• Funny 2

NE of England, eh?

Wow, there are a lot to choose from, which is rather indicative of an area decimated by loss of rail routes. Several routes in contention in my mind, but I'm going to plump for:

The Stainmore route, ie from Darlington via Barnard Castle to Kirkby Stephen East.

Of course, you can these days do that journey very efficiently using 'Route 66' (A66 from Scotch corner) so does that make the closure of the Stainmore route 'stupid and short-sighted'? Certainly the road carries a lot of traffic that the railway once did - and probably at a much greater speed. The Stainmore railway was never noted for high speeds! But - hey - we're just having a bit of fun and another route I would have loved to travel on.

Close seconds? Wensleydale railway throughout (ie through Aysgarth and Hawes to Garsdale) and also the coastal railway north of Scarborough through Ravenscar and Robin Hood's Bay)

Lucky enough to be living in this part of the world these days so an exploration of the mortal remains of the railway over Stainmore is only an hour's drive away.

IMG_7373.JPG

Little explanation needed - 'Route 66' over on the right hand side

IMG_7375.JPG

The view just a mile further on. Line now dropping steeply towards the west. Beyond the road over-bridge in the mid-distance lies Bleath Gill, the site of THAT infamous snow film.

IMG_7382.JPG

Belah, minus viaduct. What a fantastic location.

IMG_1394.JPG.0d6210bb09195fc8d6cc21f44587c155.JPG

Steam and the railway lives on at Kirkby Stephen East. Quite what might ultimately become of this preservation scheme in anybody's guess.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

NE of England, eh?

Wow, there are a lot to choose from, which is rather indicative of an area decimated by loss of rail routes. Several routes in contention in my mind, but I'm going to plump for:

The Stainmore route, ie from Darlington via Barnard Castle to Kirkby Stephen East.

Of course, you can these days do that journey very efficiently using 'Route 66' (A66 from Scotch corner) so does that make the closure of the Stainmore route 'stupid and short-sighted'? Certainly the road carries a lot of traffic that the railway once did - and probably at a much greater speed. The Stainmore railway was never noted for high speeds! But - hey - we're just having a bit of fun and another route I would have loved to travel on.

Close seconds? Wensleydale railway throughout (ie through Aysgarth and Hawes to Garsdale) and also the coastal railway north of Scarborough through Ravenscar and Robin Hood's Bay)

Lucky enough to be living in this part of the world these days so an exploration of the mortal remains of the railway over Stainmore is only an hour's drive away.

IMG_7373.JPG

Little explanation needed - 'Route 66' over on the right hand side

IMG_7375.JPG

The view just a mile further on. Line now dropping steeply towards the west. Beyond the road over-bridge in the mid-distance lies Bleath Gill, the site of THAT infamous snow film.

IMG_7382.JPG

Belah, minus viaduct. What a fantastic location.

IMG_1394.JPG.0d6210bb09195fc8d6cc21f44587c155.JPG

Steam and the railway lives on at Kirkby Stephen East. Quite what might ultimately become of this preservation scheme in anybody's guess.

Doesnt the Wensleydale line still exist as a still expanding line with hopes to rebuild in its entirety? 

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

Doesnt the Wensleydale line still exist as a still expanding line with hopes to rebuild in its entirety? 

Only as far as Redmire (just as the scenery starts to open out). It's the missing link from there to Garsdale I was referring to.

In 1955, my late stepfather went on a MLS/SLS railtour which went out over Stainmore (routed out via Hellifield-Ingleton-Low Gill-Tebay) and returned via Wenselydale route to Garsdale and S&C. For the 5 miles from Hawes-Garsdale, it was a Compound and a D20 double-heading. What a grand day out that must have been!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Only as far as Redmire (just as the scenery starts to open out). It's the missing link from there to Garsdale I was referring to.

In 1955, my late stepfather went on a MLS/SLS railtour which went out over Stainmore (routed out via Hellifield-Ingleton-Low Gill-Tebay) and returned via Wenselydale route to Garsdale and S&C. For the 5 miles from Hawes-Garsdale, it was a Compound and a D20 double-heading. What a grand day out that must have been!

Ah right. I understood their intention was to re-instate the entire route. 

4 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Ah right. I understood their intention was to re-instate the entire route. 

Aysgarth (Falls) is a destination and then Hawes is a tourist honey pot. Then to connect up with S&C at Garsdale - wow, that WOULD be something. All sorts of travel and railtour permutations open up then.

One day ... maybe ... hopefully?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmm.  Toss up between the Wensleydale route and the Stainmore route.  I think as part of the Wensleydale is still there (and hopefully more to come) and almost all of it is south of Northallerton, then I'll plump for the Stainmore.

Adrian

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Three consecutive days of sunshine mean that the image store is well stocked again, so here is the afternoon KX Goods-Doncaster ECS, booked to stand here for 33  minutes. Well cleaned KX V2 60854 will have a rest while the pilot gets busy with removing and adding stock.

38401917_4854.JPG.240e1cef3c105d5d8db2fa0f8e2996dd.JPG

Strange light when this was taken, and despite all my efforts I haven't really got the balance as I would like it.

That's a very nice V2, though, may I ask th type of model?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to the Stainmore route - though it was a hard choice as the coast route north from Scarborough through Robin Hoods Bay to Whitby and points north is a close second, as was the Malton to Grosmont and Whitby route - although a large part of the later is running again as the NYMR.

Regards

Chris H