Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 31A said:

If Cambridge-Marks Tey is allowable I will vote for that; it went through Haverhill & Sudbury on its way from Cambridgeshire to Essex.

Keeping things in Suffolk as much as possible, Bury St. Edmunds, Long Melford and Marks Tey.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I can't add much to this round, even though I once worked for a man who'd been SM at Halesworth, and with a chap who'd been SM at Kelvedon. 

Nor can I. I was tempted to vote for The Southwold Railway, but won't.

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Which route?

As suggested by Steve (31A), via Haverhill or by me, via Bury, or both?

G'Day Folks

Why not...................Both, they might both be useful today.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not much stupidity in Norfolk or Suffolk, apparently. Closure between Cambridge and Marks Tey was most mentioned, but no firm agreement on which route.

We shall now retreat to the West Midlands, and look for misguided closures there.

• RMweb Premium

I will continue a bit further north and suggest Cheltenham through to Stratford upon Avon - to give a full GWR connection direct from Birmingham.

Another line which could also have been useful is of course from Shrewsbury through Bridgnorth to Bewdley and on to Kidderminster AND Hartlebury - the later for through workings to Worcester and points south / east.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

Cheltenham was most mentioned in this poll, from there to Stratford winning with just 4 votes.

Now where?  My ducky mate asks for East Midlands, but we've done that really, I think. It is a lovely sunny day, so just right for a visit to Cornwall. Phil asked for that too.

Are there any railways closed in Cornwall? I thought they were all still open - always seems to be plenty of branchlines to choose from whenever I toddle down there.

Only joking! Greetings to all Cornwall-ians:bye: Is Padstow in Cornwall?

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Are there any railways closed in Cornwall? I thought they were all still open - always seems to be plenty of branchlines to choose from whenever I toddle down there.

Only joking! Greetings to all Cornwall-ians:bye: Is Padstow in Cornwall?

It was when I was last there a couple of years ago. And while I don't think the fortunes of North Cornwall would have been much different, Bodmin Road to Padstow is both scenic and served a true branch purpose form the GW main line, so I plump for that. Of course the heritage railway at Bodmin would never have happened. The other route to Padstow via Okehampton was a trifle slow and steady, despite the glamour of the Atlantic Coast Express. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Main LIne: Plymouth to Okehampton upgraded, (then Okehampton to somewhere in Cornwall like Padstow could be viable, although really only a tourist attraction). Or at the very least, Plymouth to Tavistock and extension of the Bere Alston, Callington Branch (for Social purposes).

Fully open it then creates the over discussed other route when Dawlish is drowned which is so needed. To Tavistock is always on the planning discussions down there and so needs to happen due to the road links being so crap.

Cornwall just needs a bigger Airport and upgraded Bus routes; much more economical for that County which is half full of out of area second homers anyway with huge bloody Tractors from Chelsea. 

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
To concentrate only on a Cornwall theme.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, if I were Kernow and not a Janner I'd be calling for Border Controls of the access bridges in from Devon and going for Independence and becoming Part of the Isles of Scilly, the Channel Islands and Southern Ireland.

That's because I am a really nasty ####### Celt and that's that!

Ar$£

• Like 2