Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Trevor

I use to travel on the train on the branch off the Totton-Fawley line, the Marchwood military railway. There was a passenger service from the married quarters to the dock side, calling at the barracks and the workshops. 

Hi Clive, I remember your mentioning your service at Marchwood. Small world. Was there much rail traffic between the port and the outside world?

Another branch in Hampshire which springs to mind is Fareham - Gosport. A few years back there was various talk of this becoming a guided busway or a tram with tunnel under the water to reach Portsmouth. The ‘too hard light’ came on for both these ideas.

The road to Gosport is another painful journey. At one point I had to do it regularly for work. I sometimes  thought I’d grow old and die before I got there!

Sorry for cluttering up the thread Gilbert, but it does show there are several lines in the south that should never have closed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Having seen the behaviour of tourists between Wareham and Swanage ( and elsewhere too) I'm not convinced a network service would entice people out of their cars especially as tickets would no doubt be relatively expensive.

The Winchester Alton line gets my vote, the chaos that ensued after a major derailment between Winchester and Southampton last year makes a diversionary route, which I seem to remember it was used as, highly desirable and could ease congestion even allowing for difficult gradients on the line.

Martyn

• RMweb Premium

Oh, a difficult one.  One of the DNS and the M&SWJ.  Either would be a useful route for the Southampton - Mudlands freight traffic.  I think, largely because I've just reread the book on it, the M&SWJ

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Off the beaten track I vote for  the Meon Valley Railway (MVR) truly Bucolic opened late 1905 closed to passenger traffic 1955 goods 1968

With the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway (DN&SR) a close second

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Another potential trunk freight route from Southampton to the Midlands, I'll vote for the Didcot Newbury & Southampton...

...I'll vote for the Berkshire (and Oxfordshire, if we're being post-1974 modern with our counties) section later if Gilbert runs that poll...    

26 minutes ago, great northern said:

Today, Oxon Berks Bucks Herts. Succinct, that is.

As promised, a vote for the northern section of the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton...  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking about Princes Risborough to Oxford but, in the end, largely because part has already reopened and the rest is planned to reopen (highlighting the stupidity of closing it in the first place), my choice is Oxford to Bletchley (and beyond...).

• RMweb Premium

Having been watching the progress on the reinstatement of the route from Bicester through Calvert to Winslow, Bletchley and Woburn Sands (just in Bucks - Beds starts otherside of the level crossing!) I was sort of discounting this one list, till I looked back at the criteria - "What was the most stupid closures"?

So my vote goes to Oxford - Bletchley. Hopefully the 15 spans of Bletchley viaduct that are being replaced will be back soon (removed in last 12 months), with the new high level platforms to the east of the WCML and the new east side station entrance.

Regarding Swanage the whole route through to Wareham has been reinstated and through trains can be worked - see the RTC trip planned for 9th September - https://www.railwaytouring.net/the-swanage-belle-09-09

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 1