Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I will sit this one out. I don't know enough about the works of Mr Johnson on the MR.

Regards

Chris H

Hi Chris

You can borrow my books on MR engines and see how wonderful Mr Johnson's locomotives were, in fact they were a work of art.

Anyhow as for today's poll, I will nominate the Q class as one can see its Derby origins in the detail design work by Mr Maunsell's chief draftsman James Clayton who had once worked for the Midland Railway. The Q class being the final development of Mr Johnson's highly successful class 2 freight engines.

Plus I like the one on the Bluebell, been hauled by it a few times.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, yes.  I like the look of the Q, but I have read that when required to be extended, they weren't that good.  The Nelsons were poor, so again the V, Skools (copyright OldDudders), wins my vote.  Thankfully one wasn't named 'South Shields Grammar Technical School for Boys' as the nameplate would have been bigger than the loco......no wonder were always referred to as SSGTSB.    :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Looks like it's going to be a one-horse race today.

I don't mind a 'Schools' - nice loco and a bit exotic being 3 cyls

DSC03866.JPG

I do wish the NYMR would get rid of those horrid extensions to the tender coalspace, originally fitted in the USA (Yes im aware of Blundells), they ruin the lines of Maunsells masterpiece. Another vote for the Schools, though i seriously considered the N and U classes. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Having consider the attractions of Maunsell's "V" class - "Schools" - I keep coming back to the "n" class 2-6-0 as being the most successful.

- There were lots more "N"s including the "Woolwich" Arsenal built kits of parts that were the basis for a class of Irish locos and the Metropolitan Railway "K" class 2-6-4Ts.

- They lasted along while.

_They were a good "Go anywhere / Do anything" loco that definitely helped in the area beyond Exeter till the advent of the Bulleid light Pacifics.

So my vote definitely goes to the "N" class 2-6-0.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A runaway win for the Schools with 12 votes out of 19 cast. It certainly seems to be reagrded as Maunsell's most successful design.

I'm going back to the Midland today, despite the Johnson fiasco. This is partly so that Clive can ask awkward questions to which I have no answer. So, the most successful design of Deeley please. Not the best looking, we've done all of those, the one that stood the test of time.

• Agree 1