Peterborough North

great northern

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Robinson locos, I am clueless but I do like his big 4-6-2 tanks.

If you ever visit Chelmsford, Robinsons do good fish and chips. And they sell Wallies.

Clive

Are the Wallies to eat the fish and chips? Wallies is Glaswegian for false teeth.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

Conclusive win for the D11 with 12 votes. It was nice to see the C4 get a few mentions though, as they were very good engines too, as well as being extremely handsome. I had expected them to feature in that category, but never mind.

If I don't do Robinson goods engines there will be some mutterings, even though I suspect the result is a foregone conclusion. So, most successful Robinson goods loco today, but please remember there is more than one deserving candidate. Too easy just to go for the most obvious one.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Clive

Are the Wallies to eat the fish and chips? Wallies is Glaswegian for false teeth.

Lloyd

Lloyd

A wally is a pickled gherkin sold in fish and chip shops, real ones that don't do deep fried Mars Bars or gravy to make your chips go soggy.  They are popular in London and Essex.

• Informative/Useful 3

49 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

04 please; original or any of the modifictaterated ones if they were better? 

Thrumpton babies.

P

If I am not putting feet in it again, O4 as well.

Clive

Whatever you do, don't ask for Wallies in a Glasgow chippy!

Lloyd

Well, I'm going to go with the flow and nominate the O4 (GCR 8K) 2-8-0 loco as the most successful Robinson goods loco.

Amongst its claims to fame, an honourable mention should be made of the fact that it was chosen as the WWI ROD war loco for mass manufacture, which accounts for it being such a large class.

As if to emphasise its relative simplicity and ease of construction I only realised in recent years that a small batch were constructed by a former locomotive manufacturer and repairer round these parts, Lingford, Gardiner & co. More used to building and maintaining small colliery locos, they were nevertheless able to turn their hands to the construction of the RODs in the country's hour of need. Testimony, I think, to a sound design. 

Edited by LNER4479
Wrong GCR type designation first time round!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Never one to cause a fuss it's 04 for me as they used to be common around ere when I were a lad, normally as filthy as they come but marvellous engines. In later years I worked with a chap who had fired them and he was full of praise for them so confirming my view.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

.......................... the O4 (GCR 9K) 2-8-0 loco ...........................

Sorry to be a pedant, but I understood the LNER O4 was the GCR 8K - and the 9K was a 4-4-2T that became the LNER C13?

Regards

Chris H

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I could go O4 or Pom Pom.
I'm actually going for the 0-8-0 Tinies, the later version with Ross Pops and raves on the tender.
Sorry, I don't know the class number.
Chris.

The Q4. I will go with that too

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I may be in a minority of one, but I find the O4 rather ugly. Indeed I dislike all the Robinson engines with long covers over the splashers I.e. the 4-6-0s and D11 as well. They look old fashioned and unwieldy (ducks for cover). So I would like to vote for the J11 as I think it’s a very handsome engine. But I can’t argue for the service record of the O4, so reluctantly I’ll give it my vote.

26 minutes ago, David Bell said:

The Q4. I will go with that too

Cheers

David

Tinies rule.
They were the ancestor of the O4.
My Millholme example hauled the last train on my layout in Wiltshire before I came home to Manchester.
I really need to 'modernise' it.
The kit has Ramsbottom safety valves and coal rails, far too early for my period.
XO4 powerdrive, SSMMOOOTTHHH.
I love her to bits.

• Like 5