Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to the beautiful and successful T9 4-4-0 - which brings back memories of seeing No 120 in the LSWR Urie lined light green livery running around circa 1960 - with much younger BR(s) green coaches (I think they were Bulleid types mainly?).

The M7 tanks and "Black Motors" (Class 700 0-6-0s) were also rather marvellous, but the T9s took the lead as the successful "Fliers".

Regards

Chris H

The success of the T9 is more to do with Urie’s rebuilding of the class to remove the unsuccessful Drummond features and applying the best form of Superheating.

Therefore, I’ll vote for the M7.

Paul

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 08:14, great northern said:

An experimental shot of that 01, which didn't really work.

128459355_2012.JPG.419ae8279a3c8d5cd69169e12468d9e1.JPG

I like it. Very reminiscent of photos of the prototype in your chosen time frame. You could see that coming from a Railways Illustrated article.

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

S15. A good old workhorse that could pinch-hit for most services, despite being designed for heavy freight. One used to pass near my house in the early 60s, mid-evening. Maunsell refined and improved them, but the basic design must have been right for two more batches to be built by Southern. 

Beat me to it by a short head - Having googled 'Urie Locomotives' it appears that the S15 was a Urie LSWR design from 1920. Seems to have been a reasonably successful loco and quite a few survive into preservation. No.(30)506, now up and running on the Mid-Hants after a 18 year rebuild (hats off to the lad n lassies involved), is one of the two genuine LSWR survivors.

So, it's S15 from me as well.