Peterborough North

great northern

3 hours ago, jollysmart said:

I'll go for the 0-8-0, can't beat a good heavy freight loco that can do the job.

Problem with the large boilered 0-8-0s, the axleboxes were fragile.
The origional Aspinal small boilered locos were fine. The large boilered locos could do the job but, like the 'Austin Sevens', were flawed.

• Agree 1

On 04/04/2021 at 00:17, great northern said:

Right, now to an attempt to recreate a prototype photo, and a special one too, having been taken by Tim's Dad on 23rd May 1958.

317606410_61619Peterborough23-5-58_127-101L1200.jpg.2a5a210edf25ee8645670ee2344299d9.jpg

This shows Welbeck Abbey pulling out of the Up carriage sidings. The train, I am sure is the 4.32 to Harwich, as I've seen several shots of March engines doing the same thing, and the stock matches the official formation, almost. Tim's Dad was a teenager at the time, so there is no way he would have had a permit to stray off the platforms, which means this must have been taken from the North end of Platform 3/4, where spotters tended to congregate, or perhaps be sent by the staff. I thought at first that the structure with the sloping top just in view on the left was the telephone box attached to the water crane at the end of the platform, and looking at other photos I can't see any thing else further north which would fit the bill. However, the carriage sidings were a fair way along from that, whereas the loco looks very close. So, I'm puzzled as to how this was taken, and I couldn't achieve anything remotely like it with the camera on the platform, even when using telephoto, which I presume Tim's Dad didn't have in 1958. So, here is the nearest I could get.

1419094089_1619comp.JPG.6a24195895838de74d0b7a4a75b3ba5f.JPG

I forgot the BG was maroon. To get this to look anything like, the camera had to be positioned quite a way further north of the platform, and even then I couldn't get the same angle. I suppose with the compression of distance which was necessary at this end of the layout, that isn't really surprising. My camera would also be sitting considerably higher, of course,

Tim is much more clever than me, so perhaps we will see what he can do when he is next allowed to visit.

I'd love to have  go at grafting my B17 photo onto this superb shot, and colouring it as well, if it were to permitted.

It reminds me of my own experiences of 1958 when the sun always shone, and the photo is redolent of those days of spotting , too.   Lovely.

My picture removed.  Sorry Gilbert and especially Tim. 

Edited by robmcg
addition removal
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, now to an attempt to recreate a prototype photo, and a special one too, having been taken by Tim's Dad on 23rd May 1958.

317606410_61619Peterborough23-5-58_127-101L1200.jpg.2a5a210edf25ee8645670ee2344299d9.jpg

This shows Welbeck Abbey pulling out of the Up carriage sidings. The train, I am sure is the 4.32 to Harwich, as I've seen several shots of March engines doing the same thing, and the stock matches the official formation, almost. Tim's Dad was a teenager at the time, so there is no way he would have had a permit to stray off the platforms, which means this must have been taken from the North end of Platform 3/4, where spotters tended to congregate, or perhaps be sent by the staff. I thought at first that the structure with the sloping top just in view on the left was the telephone box attached to the water crane at the end of the platform, and looking at other photos I can't see any thing else further north which would fit the bill. However, the carriage sidings were a fair way along from that, whereas the loco looks very close. So, I'm puzzled as to how this was taken, and I couldn't achieve anything remotely like it with the camera on the platform, even when using telephoto, which I presume Tim's Dad didn't have in 1958. So, here is the nearest I could get.

1419094089_1619comp.JPG.6a24195895838de74d0b7a4a75b3ba5f.JPG

I forgot the BG was maroon. To get this to look anything like, the camera had to be positioned quite a way further north of the platform, and even then I couldn't get the same angle. I suppose with the compression of distance which was necessary at this end of the layout, that isn't really surprising. My camera would also be sitting considerably higher, of course,

Tim is much more clever than me, so perhaps we will see what he can do when he is next allowed to visit.

They both look identical to me Gilbert.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Crabs all over the place, and won easily.

Now I shall make you think, and possibly even do a bit of research. Today we want the most successful design of Dugald Drummond, and you can choose from any of the Companies for which he designed lcomotives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, robmcg said:

I'd love to have  go at grafting my B17 photo onto this superb shot, and colouring it as well, if it were to permitted.

It reminds me of my own experiences of 1958 when the sun always shone, and the photo is redolent of those days of spotting , too.   Lovely.

edit; I risked severe disapprobation by doing this ...  with a coloured engine  of mine...

noting that the number ascribed to the engine are not the ones in the file name,'

and my model wasn't so shiny, and the 1958 camera lens has some interesting , um, perspectives.

lighting on mine was different too, but rule 1, 'the eye forgives'.  

B17_606410_61619_61B17_19Peterborough23-5-58_2abcdefg_r2000bw.jpg.6e5d7b0d32bbb18e9d0496d8cb3313f5.jpg

cheers

I cannot understand why you would do this. This is a personal and very precious image belonging to Tim Easter, taken by his father who died not long ago. Tim asked me specifically if I could try to reproduce it, using the loco which he had just sent to me, weathering done as on his father's image. It is personal to him, and to me, as it was taken on my layout. Frankly, I am disgusted, particularly as I have already discussed this sort of thing with you before. I do not wish to see you on this thread again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Still circling the north end of the station from on high, we first look at the Thompson stock in the siding, particularly the lovely composite.

1938981105_15thompsons.JPG.7f18a071f1b94ad762d5f8597692519c.JPG

Hi Gilbert 

love the rolling stock

David 

I'm going to have to go with the obvious.
T14 Paddleboxes.
Belay that.
Actually, I've reread your question.
Successful?
I'm not really up on the Scottish types, so I'll say M7 tanks.
They lasted one heck of a long time and could be seen from London right down to the end of the country.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, great northern said:

I cannot understand why you would do this. This is a personal and very precious image belonging to Tim Easter, taken by his father who died not long ago. Tim asked me specifically if I could try to reproduce it, using the loco which he had just sent to me, weathering done as on his father's image. It is personal to him, and to me, as it was taken on my layout. Frankly, I am disgusted, particularly as I have already discussed this sort of thing with you before. I do not wish to see you on this thread again.

A horrible, but entirely-justified, post, Gilbert. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Now I shall make you think, and possibly even do a bit of research. Today we want the most successful design of Dugald Drummond, and you can choose from any of the Companies for which he designed locomotives.

I've come over all Scottish for this poll, considering this is where Dugald hailed from.

There's a fair few locos attributed to his name from his time at the Caledonian Railway, including the unique, one-off Caley Single No.123. However, I'm going to go for a more humdrum, long-lived 0-6-0 goods loco, officially the 294 and later 711 class, nicknamed 'Jumbo'. First introduced 1883; last one withdrawn by BR in 1963 - not a bad service record by any standards.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2

I will vote for the 294/711 class. A loco that continued to be built by someone called Smellie (yes I know about Lambie and Macintosh) must be worth a vote.

I don't know anything about them as I had to look Drummond up but they look like a rugged  0-6-0 with a relatively long life. They look the part.

Martyn