Peterborough North

great northern

Well I'm going to vote for Ivatt's Atlantic ... but not the large boiler types but the original 990 'Henry Oakley' type, ie the original, smaller type which became LNER C2.

My much-thumbed copy of Locomotives Illustrated No.14 (1978, price 60p) tells the interesting story. No.990 was a landmark loco for the UK, beating the Lancs & Yorks by a short head to be the first loco of the 4-4-2 'Atlantic' configuration. Within five years, it gave birth to the larger variant which were undoubtedly good but, as already referred to, did need some adjustment to the superheating arrangements to get the best out of them, by which time the pacifics weren't far away.

So, my vote goes to the C2 as the true progenitor of the East Coast large express passenger types . I once got the chance to build No.990 in original form, which was an interesting project as it looks somewhat different to the preserved loco we know today.

DSC01116.JPG

DSC01118.JPG

• Like 15

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m tempted by the three Atlantics but the most successful must surely be the N1.

4E380802-4510-4F68-BF27-E5C33AE4B8A5.jpeg.be044af6f7c307417b26b9ab8d3c4047.jpeg

This comfortably outlasted the Atlantics and bred the even more successful N2.

Hearing one of these on a train out of Bradford would have been an experience.

• RMweb Premium

So there we are then. Instead of a runaway win for the C1, it seems to have attracted only one vote. C2 and C12 both got 3, but the winner was the N1 with 5. Much though I like C12s, they have been described as "endearingly feeble", which I think is a very kind description.

We should also consider Mr Ivatt's goods designs, so we'll do that today.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

We should also consider Mr Ivatt's goods designs, so we'll do that today.

LMS Twins count? ;) 

In all seriousness though, I'll agree with the K1/Q1-Q2 option.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am going for the L1, despite being designed to deal with the carting of city workers to and from Moorgate they ended their days as freight locos up north somewhere.

GNR L1 =LNER R1.

There is an ulterior motive for everything Clive posts, but I couldn't work this one out. Then I looked up the class history, and found that the LNER toyed with the idea of converting them to diesel power.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4