Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

All golfers have their off days I suppose, even those at Augusta. Hope your back is returning to normal. Thanks again for sharing the procession of traffic through Peterborough North - almost like having a time travel webcam in place.

Bazza

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back a good deal more comfortable today, but I shan't be doing anything which might make it cross again.

Poll won very comfortably by the J6, with 11 votes.

Today, locomotives of any type designed by H G Ivatt. Not many to choose from, but it will be interesting to see which is thought to be the most successful.

• RMweb Premium

Now most would expect me to say the 1600 hp Co-Co diesels, they were very successful, their primary power unit went on to be used in the class 40s, class 50s, DP2, and the class 56s after various upgrades.

Today I will vote for the class 4 2-6-0.

• Agree 1

H A Ivatt is interesting.
You could say that he was a tweaker of existing designs.
The class 4 2-6-0 was flawed until the draughting was improved, the same with the Class 2 2-6-0.
In the Class 2 2-6-2 tank, the LMS finally had a decent light tank engine after the poor Fowler and Stanier designs.
I think I'll vote for the 1600HP Diesels.
They are a fitting legacy.

• Like 1

I think my choice has to be guided by the selection criterion. 

10000/10001 (I saw them at Euston when I was young) was probably the most influential design, but there were only 2 of them. 

The class 4 eventually performed well, was built in considerable numbers and was fairly widespread.  So in terms of a successful class, it has to have my nomination.

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to the Class 2 2-6-2T - which often seemed to punch above their weight.

If the Co-Co diesels had got beyond just the two examples - before being morphed into other types in the mid 1950s onwards - my vote would have been different.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Gold

Well, for this poll, instead of going with the ‘Flying Pig’, 2-6-0, I’ve decided upon the small 2mt 2-6-0. I think I’ve been brainwashed recently, since I’ve been watching ‘Oh Doctor Beeching!’  The star is one of the preserved 2mt’s in green. Such a good class of engine.

Rob.