Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

A very close poll, as I thought it might be, though I'm surprised that the 2MT tender engines didn't feature more.  The 4MTs shaded the 2MT tanks by 6 votes to 5.

Now then. Oliver Bulleid. Even less designs to consider, but I will have a deranged duck to deal with if I ignore him. So, what was his most successful design. I think we will include rebuilds too, to make it more interesting.

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

A very close poll, as I thought it might be, though I'm surprised that the 2MT tender engines didn't feature more.  The 4MTs shaded the 2MT tanks by 6 votes to 5.

Now then. Oliver Bulleid. Even less designs to consider, but I will have a deranged duck to deal with if I ignore him. So, what was his most successful design. I think we will include rebuilds too, to make it more interesting.

The Q1.. showed that when he was sensible he could design something that worked reasonably efficiently.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The ubiquity of the Light Pacifics makes them a star loco - that's good enough for me. It is perhaps a pity that the late electrification to Bournemouth meant that they were in service long after fine locos from other Regions had gone, so they form a slightly disproportionate % of active preserved locos, and are resented by some. 

• Agree 1

Tricky one.
I'm a HUGE pacific fan, both as built and rebuilt. I do admit they had their failings.
It has to be the Q1. A true mixed traffic 0-6-0.
Incidently, where do the Bullied Raworth C-C electric locos come in?
They were hugely successful and went about their job before a too early withdrawal.

I am not a great fan of SR, but this is a difficult choice.

Q1 aka flying dustbins, they did what they were designed for well as far as I can tell, and were a good example of an austerity design, but the appearance was pure engineering without any artistry.

Merchant Navies, they appeared quite successful after having been rebuilt.

Light pacifics, quite a number where not rebuilt, and they did useful work, though such a large engine for short trains did look like overkill.

Class 12 shunters, lasted longer than any of the other designs doing useful work as far as I know, and I would guess formed the basis of the later class 08 shunters.

CC1/2 again had quite a long life, performing valuable work, and presumably helped in the development of the later DC electrics.

DD emus was a good idea, but getting in and out took too long for use as they were intended.

As for his other emus, I don't know enough about, though they appeared to last a long time.

I am split between the Q1 and Class 12, but I think I will go for the Q1.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

Very difficult to decide on this poll - I'm another who is a great fan of the Bulleid Pacifics, both original and modified, but as we're asked for the most successful design I have to concur with those who have nominated the Q1.  Phenomenally successful design. 

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile

• RMweb Premium

While I might understand the votes for the Q1, they were purely heavy freight locos and did have occasional failings - particularly in the poor braking department.

I also understand the attraction of the "Class 12" Diesel Shunters which were definitely part of the way forward with the two Co-Co electric locos CC1/2 - but they were penny numbers.

Consequently my vote goes to the ubiquitous "Light Pacfics" which could do anything well almost anywhere on the SR system. They had superb boilers - like all the Bulleid designs on the SR / BR(S) - which would make steam on the proverbial candle and could run fast. Their main failing was that due to very good dynamic balancing they would slip easily from rest or at speed - but they were track friendly, with low Hammer-blow.

Regards

Chris H

Well, if you’re going to include rebuilds then I have to concede - nay, even joyfully accept - that the Merchant Navy in rebuilt form is a very fine machine, fully worthy to stand alongside the other BR 8P types.

Just a pity that it all came a bit too late but what a superb final 10 years and exhilarating finale to SR steam.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite really liking the all of the Bullied Pacifics, both for their style and unconventional looks their propensity for slipping and their failings as built mean that the Q1 is todays vote.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

If the poll were about more than just locos I'd pick the 4-SUBs though.

I did look at some EMUs, but couldn't find anything other than the 4-DD that had Bulleid's name directly linked to it...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
Corrected to make sense...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I did look at some EMUs, but couldn't find anything that the 4-DD with Bulleid's name directly linked to it...

...which with the best will in the world I couldn't call "successful".

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday was Mr Ivatt junior today it is his flamboyant brother-in-law Mr Bullyboy.

Pity we cannot vote for the 4 SUBs. So today I vote for the Battle of Britain class but not the ones named after places in Bandit Country.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As among the first loco's I can remember seeing and what seemed like futuristic style. I must go for the "Charlies" as the Q1's were known amongst the drivers/firemen (always coffee pots to me)

Chaz

The Rebuilt Light Pacific’s , beyond doubt for me. Go anywhere ,  ( except the withered arm) do anything including standing in for the MN’s when needed, and great lookers. The Q1’s don’t do it for me. I preferred the Q’s.

• RMweb Gold

The rebuilt light Pacifics here too.

Sadly I rarely saw any of Bulleids locos, except on family holidays as a child.

Though I became very familiar with a Mercant Navy at one time - when Ellerman Lines was being sectioned for the NRM, as Dad managed the workshop where a lot of the work was done.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

As much as I like the Bulleid Pacific's, have a Hornby model that will one day represent one of those that worked in East Anglia and now live at the end of the line where they did so much sterling  work towards the end of their lives my vote goes to the Q1.

For some reason I have always been fascinated by them and aged 13 tried to build the k's kit but despite building the body successfully  couldn't get the chassis to work, such a familiar story I'm sure. One day I intend to have a model that works.

Martyn

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mullie said:

As much as I like the Bulleid Pacific's, have a Hornby model that will one day represent one of those that worked in East Anglia and now live at the end of the line where they did so much sterling  work towards the end of their lives my vote goes to the Q1.

For some reason I have always been fascinated by them and aged 13 tried to build the k's kit but despite building the body successfully  couldn't get the chassis to work, such a familiar story I'm sure. One day I intend to have a model that works.

Martyn

Get the Hornby model, it's excellent and pulls loads.
The kits are good, the Little Engines kit which, I think, was taken over by SE Finecast is a good kit.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1

My vote goes to the original MN.  I think I've mentioned before the colour brochure of express locos I had as a child, the SR representative being Channel Packet, which made a great impression with its air-smoothed casing. 

Subsequently, I served my student apprenticeship with the firm which worked with the SR on the chain drive for the valve gear, innovative if ultimately replaced.  Possibly the best boiler design fitted to a British engine, it's a shame that Bulleid never got the chance to fit his first choice valve gear, which I believe would have been similar to that eventually fitted to Duke of Gloucester.

• Like 1