Peterborough North

great northern

54 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice Exleys.

They're not, actually, as it happens. A nice compliment to the builder, as they're quite simple construction (my Dad's not made of money!).

If anyone's interested, the layout shown was RoftM in RM Aug 13 (the traditional garden issue).

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I also suspect Jazzer is at risk of a visit from the Mafia!!!!

Has to be a Duchess, several trips behind Duchess of Hamilton on the main lines, plus a several days of enjoying her company whilst a volunteer guard on the NVR.  
In my model past, I’ve owned examples in N,  00 and 0, including HD, Wrenn and Hornby.

Would love to own a Live Steam version 

Paul

There is a company currently advertising Coronations in 5" gauge coal fired live steam:lol:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Much as I like 6233 Duchess of Hamilton, after much mulling my vote goes to the "Rebuilt Royal Scots" - they were superb and capable machines and my IMechE mentor had stated his working life with the LMS at St Rollox where they had him learning to draw on the designs for the smoke deflectors.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Much as I like 6233 Duchess of Hamilton, after much mulling my vote goes to the "Rebuilt Royal Scots" - they were superb and capable machines and my IMechE mentor had stated his working life with the LMS at St Rollox where they had him learning to draw on the designs for the smoke deflectors.

Regards

Chris H

Chris,

I think you’ve muddled your Hamilton with Sutherland.  I’ve looked after 6233 on several water stops around my part of the world.

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, great northern said:

No glamour votes this time, or not enough anyway. Q1 with 10 votes was well ahead of the Pacifics, which were split votes anyway.

Coming to the final few now, and today one of the best. Sir William Stanier, starting with his most successful passenger designs. Please note that there will be separate polls for mixed traffic designs and goods locomotives, so do not get ahead of yourselves. Anyone posting a reply which shows that they have not read all of this may be shot.:triniti:

Having spent a lot of my life in Essex I am going to have to say a class that possibly shifted more bottoms per mile than the class which appears to be winning, the LTSR line 3 cylinder 2-6-4T class 4 Passenger locos. Only withdrawn when the AM2 and 8/3s were introduced.

One more built than the Duchesses, 37 tanks and 36 Pacifics . The last 2 8P locos had Ivatt improvements which on the LNER would have been a sub class therefore should have been in the running when we done Mr Ivatt Jnr's locos.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hrrrummph Sir!!!, they was always " Simmies to us"( Derby accent!!). To me the Coronations(my choice} were  the embodiment of power and elegance and to really appreciate them, I reckon you had to see them at speed, I spent many hours at Tamworth watching them race through..........Ground shaking!

Going to hedge my bets........next were the Princesses (Prinnies, urrrgh!!), then the Scots. S'pose I loved all Mr . Stanier's  passenger engines.

Rgds...........Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,   My family , used to spend our holidays at my aunt's place in Thundersley and we very often went to Leigh- on-Sea, where the LTSR ran along the back of the beach. Whilst my sisters and me were chasing little crabs in the mud, dad, sitting up on the strip of sand used to get me the numbers of the passing locos, I reckon I copped nearly all of the 2500's there..............Happy days.

Rgds.............Mike

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Princess Coronations for the ultimate brutal passenger locomotive.

Duchess of Hamilton purring up the S&C effortlessly is a memory I shall take to my grave.

To pick up on that latter theme (can't resist any longer!), I suspect that I might have become a Duchess fan anyway, but the relaunch of No.46229 onto the mainline scene in 1980 (just in time for the L&M 150 celebrations at Rainhill) cemented it for me. I was 16 at the time, a highly impressionable age.

Along with my equally Duchess fanatic father (who saw them all in day-to-day 1950s service), we were aboard her inaugural mainline run on 10th May 1980 (trip round the York-Leeds-Harrogate circuit) but - you're right - it was a series of performances of the S&C 1983-1985 that made her reputation in the preservation world. Almost single-handedly, Hamilton changed the mainline scene from one of a gentle, nostalgic day out to one of record-equalling performances, aided and abetted by enthusiastic Skipton and Carlisle crews.

During this period, the so-called 'blue riband' was established for fastest southbound climbs from Appleby to Ais Gill. We were on board on 7th Jan 1984 when she set a new fastest time that stood for seven years. To be holding 50mph on the 1-in-100 with a 14-coach, 500 ton train was simply spine-tingling. 6233 has been no slouch either and it was equally a great thrill to ride behind her over the 'hallowed ground' of the northbound climb of Shap in 2002 in 'even time' (Tebay to Shap summit, 5 miles in 5 minutes) - something no-one would have thought even possible in the more restricted BR times of the 1980s.

From those days, my photo (copy of a print) of the magnificent Duchess of Hamilton on 19th Oct 1985, forging north at Horton-in-Ribblesdale at her customary 50mph. How can one failed to be moved by a sight like that? She is simply - and always will be - my all-time favourite loco. Period.

46229.JPG

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Chris,

I think you’ve muddled your Hamilton with Sutherland.  I’ve looked after 6233 on several water stops around my part of the world.

Paul

Oops! - Paul is quite right, and I did mean 6233 Sutherland!

Regards

Chris H

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

A Stanier, forgotten design...............2P 0-4-4T.

manna

Yo Manna

You are being naughtier than me.

I won't rattle on about them being accredited to Sir Ernest Lemon, CME 1931, but built/completed after Stanier arrived. Or they were only a more modern boilered version of the Johnson 0-4-4T.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

No mention of the Jubilees then? Ah well - with the Duchesses and Scots around, they didn't stand much chance. But seeing as it's Stanier XP day, I beg our host's forbearance and just leave this 70 seconds of all out 3-cyl roar here ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

No mention of the Jubilees then? Ah well - with the Duchesses and Scots around, they didn't stand much chance. But seeing as it's Stanier XP day, I beg our host's forbearance and just leave this 70 seconds of all out 3-cyl roar here ...

Well, if you hadn't threatened to shoot me I'd have voted for the Jubilees.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Poll won by the Princess Coronations with an impressive 14 votes, but then they were/are impressive locomotives.

Today we look for Stanier's most successful mixed traffic design. May I remind voters again that we are not looking for our personal favourites now, we did that ages ago. This poll is about efficiency and success, not looks or sentiment. Having said that, it may have a foregone conclusion, but if there is a really stand out candidate, that's what we are looking for.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now then, how many different Stanier mixed-traffic loco designs were there? Two? Or do we include the tanks, so 3? (edit - 4 - I forgot the useless class 3).

I was going to be naughty and say the double chimney high running board Caprotti 5 (just checked - 1951 Horwich, so post-Ivatt even!) but I think they were built under Ivatt, so.....5020, the first Black 5!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1