Peterborough North

great northern

B1 please.

I probably have some childhood memory of these. To me they look exactly as a steam locomotive should look!

(It would be interesting to compare the maintenance requirements of the B16/2s and B16/3s)

23 minutes ago, 69843 said:

I’m with Clive on this one....long as the vote for the B16/3 is legal that is!

The Rules  Committee ( Gilbert ) needs to rule on the legality of that one I think. I stand to be corrected but wasn’t the B16/3 basically one of Gresleys B16  / 2’s with Walchaerts valve gear? They seem to be identical visually so hardly an original design.

However, it matters not to me . If the BI wasn’t in the competition I would say definitely the L1 by a country mile, but the B1 is in so just about edges the vote for me. 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jazzer said:

The Rules  Committee ( Gilbert ) needs to rule on the legality of that one I think. I stand to be corrected but wasn’t the B16/3 basically one of Gresleys B16  / 2’s with Walchaerts valve gear? They seem to be identical visually so hardly an original design.

However, it matters not to me . If the BI wasn’t in the competition I would say definitely the L1 by a country mile, but the B1 is in so just about edges the vote for me. 

Ah! Mr Jazzer

Sir Nige's B16/2 were right hand drive and had his complicated funny beat version Walchaersts valve gear.

Mr T's B16/3 had left hand drive and each cylinder had its own set of Walchaerts valve gear.

Sir Vincent's S 3 locomotives were right hand drive had 3 sets of Stephenson valve gear. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This poll is a corker. Our host tells us there are just two locos eligible, whereupon the membership starts debating other classes that ought to be included and how many cylinders they had. 

Like herding cats. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah! Mr Jazzer

Sir Nige's B16/2 were right hand drive and had his complicated funny beat version Walchaersts valve gear.

Mr T's B16/3 had left hand drive and each cylinder had its own set of Walchaerts valve gear.

Sir Vincent's S 3 locomotives were right hand drive had 3 sets of Stephenson valve gear. 

Oh , I see . So that must have been before Mr T was convicted of a crime he didnt commit and was sent to a military stockade whereupon he promptly escaped to the Los Angeles underground and joined the A team . Am I right  ? 

If you want a good steam locomotive ruined, if no one else can help, and if you can find him ,maybe Mr T can do it for you ;)

Mr T advice compilation - Bing video

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

This poll is a corker. Our host tells us there are just two locos eligible, whereupon the membership starts debating other classes that ought to be included and how many cylinders they had. 

Like herding cats. 

Hi Ian

Our host can include my suggestion that he had inadvertently omitted or not. 

• RMweb Premium

Pity we are being very focussed on the B1 - which was a good mixed traffic loco, and appeared in large numbers.

In my view the really successful  Thompson MT loco design was the "One off" K1/1 2-6-0 that was later multiplied with a few mods by Mr Pepprcorn as the K1 class. They had a bit more grunt and punch and were very good locos. So my vote goes to the K1/1.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

Right, the poll. Despite distractions and other candidates coming out of the woodwork, the result was not affected, B1 winning by a street. Hardly surprising, as with the Black 5 it was clearly a very competent design.

Today is Mr Thompson's goods engines, and I don't have time to go through every possible candidate. So, I will say that J11/3 and 04/8 are included, and leave it to Clive to tell me what I have missed. It would spoil his fun if I didn't. I haven't missed the 01 though. That seemed sufficiently obvious not to need a specific mention, but I have.:scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, great northern said:

Right, the poll. Despite distractions and other candidates coming out of the woodwork, the result was not affected, B1 winning by a street. Hardly surprising, as with the Black 5 it was clearly a very competent design.

Today is Mr Thompson's goods engines, and I don't have time to go through every possible candidate. So, I will say that J11/3 and 04/8 are included, and leave it to Clive to tell me what I have missed. It would spoil his fun if I didn't. I haven't missed the 01 though. That seemed sufficiently obvious not to need a specific mention, but I have.:scratchhead:

The Q1s 0-8-0T, but I won't be voting for them.

11 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Not a fan then?

Big fan of the B1’s and the L1’s despite the malicious gossip spread about the latter, but to be fair his rebuilds Of Gresley’s genius didn’t really have the Wow! factor. 

I did like the real Mr T though:good:

• Like 1