Peterborough North

great northern

O1 (as using frames from an O4) please.
I also like the O4/8, which looks very much as if it was the 2-8-0 the NER never quite built.

If I understand correctly it was the condition of the cylinders which determined whether an O4 (in one of it's several variants) got given a new 100A boiler to become an O4/8, or also given the standard B1 type cylinders and valve gear to become a full-fledged O1.

The O1s came out very well in the 1948 comparisons as well.

Edited by drmditch

Now here’s a thought to conjure with : If  Bullied had not gone to the Southern, he would have been CME instead of Thompson . One can only guess what we might have seen if Bulleid had been given a free hand on some of the rebuilds !

As it was Thompson was really only fourth choice for the job, so in wartime conditions and with only a few years before retirement he was always going to be a bit of a lame duck in terms of anything truly innovative. He was ,by all accounts an aloof man , very difficult to get on with, who would tolerate any dissent, and not a natural leader of me. He doesn’t seem to have been a hands on man so it’s questionable how much personal input he had to the designs, as opposed to general oversight, just as Riddles doesn’t seem to have had much personal input to the BR standard designs.

However if he is to be given credit for anything it would be for his move towards standardisation after inheriting a variety of different classes. Standardisation seems to have been a bit of a closed book to Gresley and Bullied. So balancing all these factors my vote goes to the O4/8, which probably don’t owe much to Thompson in terms of design, but they are a product of his standardisation programme with the successful B1 boiler cylinders and cab. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Standardisation seems to have been a bit of a closed book to Gresley and Bullied (sic).

People say that, but that overlooks the limited resources Gresley had to work with which meant he was restricted to building minimal numbers of locomotives each year.  He never had the sweeping scrap and build brief Stanier did.   Nonetheless, if you look at the number of locomotive classes on the LNER in 1923 and 1940 you'll find he'd dramatically reduced them.  289 J39s and 184 V2s suggests he was happy to stick to a single design if it suited the purpose and the budget.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I am going to change my mind on what Thompson freight loco to vote for.

007a.jpg.622858b2fb48a3d321998f61d3328be2.jpg

How could I forget the DEJ-1, later D3/9 then D3/10.

008a.jpg.6098e4ae24f0f847b098dd9843565d1d.jpg

Another bespoke chassis, couldn't use a 08 or similar chassis as Mr T made his N-gins have a 3 inch longer wheelbase. The body was bunged together by some fat bald bloke out of left over plastic card.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 2

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am going to change my mind on what Thompson freight loco to vote for.

007a.jpg.622858b2fb48a3d321998f61d3328be2.jpg

How could I forget the DEJ-1, later D3/9 then D3/10.

008a.jpg.6098e4ae24f0f847b098dd9843565d1d.jpg

Another bespoke chassis, couldn't use a 08 or similar chassis as Mr T made his N-gins have a 3 inch longer wheelbase. The body was bunged together by some fat bald bloke out of left over plastic card.

"These were ordered at an Emergency Board Meeting on 19th February 1941, shortly before Gresley's death." So, in terms of the timeline, actually a Gresley engine.

Officer, arrest that man!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, even my limited understanding of steam says the design of the 9F was almost too good. Hence the ridiculous occasional use of them on high-speed passenger services, where 5' drivers do not often venture, but where they did the biz very well.

• RMweb Premium

Without doubt the 9F.  93mph on a passenger train (Gerry Fiennes) or the Tyne Dock iron ore, where they were driven 'full engine' - full cut off, full regulator, sending coals to the moon. (Peter Handford's record recommended)  Magnificent machines.

• Like 1