Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the Duke was there a unsuccessful BR standard? Some might say the Clans, they were not a failure just mediocre. So today I will not be voting as I am sure I will be told off when I nominate the humble BR 0-6-0 English Electric power diesel electric 350hp shunter.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Apart from the Duke was there a unsuccessful BR standard? Some might say the Clans, they were not a failure just mediocre. So today I will not be voting as I am sure I will be told off when I nominate the humble BR 0-6-0 English Electric power diesel electric 350hp shunter.

Only because really it was an LMS design.....

The most successful BR Standard was the Diesel Electric class 43 so good even the Scots will have them as cast offs.

Or a 9F

• Like 1

I'm going to have to say the Britannia. The first Standard that proved the Standard idea was a goer, even though they had teething troubles. And of course 70013 was the longest serving purely BR steam locomotive, with 17 years and 2 months racked up.

Imagine if the Brits had been abject failures-what then?

Edited by 69843
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Continuing my voting for freight engines, even ones with a touch of occasional glamour, has to be the 9F, fitting end to the freight engine design, more flexible  and better than it should have been.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Only because really it was an LMS design.....

The most successful BR Standard was the Diesel Electric class 43 so good even the Scots will have them as cast offs.

Or a 9F

Hi Woody

I am going to split hairs with you. There are more visual differences between the LMS 350 twin double reduction geared 0-6-0 diesel shunter and the BR one than there are between a Saint and Grange class locos of the GWR ( 10 p in the swear box, ping). Now would one dare say they are the same class? 

Or if you really want to be argumentative it wasn't an LMS design but that of the Hawthorn-Leslie and Dick Kerr companies in association with English Electric.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Woody

I am going to split hairs with you. There are more visual differences between the LMS 350 twin double reduction geared 0-6-0 diesel shunter and the BR one than there are between a Saint and Grange class locos of the GWR ( 10 p in the swear box, ping). Now would one dare say they are the same class? 

Or if you really want to be argumentative it wasn't an LMS design but that of the Hawthorn-Leslie and Dick Kerr companies in association with English Electric.

Still not a BR design though....:D

The Clan worked, when the drivers remembered it was a 6P not a 7P. They did sterling work out of Manchester on the Carlisle trains.
Same with the Caprotti 5's, We had masses at Patricroft and with the right crew they were superb on passenger. Goods, they needed to be hammered. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Still not a BR design though....:D

Ah But a Grange was not a Churhward design but a Collett one, apart from wheel size and a few superficial bits and bobs was a Saint. 

The BR 350hp Shunter/Jocko/Pilot was a BR design as the final tweaking was done to the basic concept in BR days. 

• Like 2

On 15/04/2021 at 12:39, Clive Mortimore said:

I am going for the 04/8, I know it looked half finished but that is the appeal and they were successful/usefull.

Clive, you seem to have a strange attraction to half finished things .:lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I would agree that the 9F is probably the pick of the designs; however, for this poll, just for fun, I'm going to nominate the 80xxx 2-6-4Ts. The third most numerous 'Standard' type, after the 9Fs and 5MTs, I don't think there was much wrong with them and the survivors have certainly gone on to have a successful 'second life' in the world of preserved railways.

The Britannias? Not so much a failure as a disappointment in my view. A genuinely new design (I think I'm right in saying there was no previous UK 2-cyl pacific type?) they suffered from several hindsight-is-a wonderful-thing foibles, including loose wheels and significant hammer blow and - with the glorious exception of the GER mainline - always seemed to be struggling to find an excuse for their very existence, variously competing with the like of Royal Scots (LMS), V2s (LNER) and Castles (GWR), all of which were highly-regarded by their partisan crews. The sad incident at Settle in 1960, caused by the slidebars working loose, just seemed to sum up the class's almost jinxed reputation.

Shame, as the aesthetics, combined with that wonderful chime whistle, makes it a type just crying out to be loved. At least we can enjoy them in model form.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

The Clan worked, when the drivers remembered it was a 6P not a 7P. They did sterling work out of Manchester on the Carlisle trains.
Same with the Caprotti 5's, We had masses at Patricroft and with the right crew they were superb on passenger. Goods, they needed to be hammered. 

Yes , the Clans weren’t given a fair crack of the whip. Because of delays at the testing plant at Rugby they were thrown into service without niggling little faults being sorted, particularly the draughting , only one , 72001 got to run over the route they were designed for and with only 10 of them a lot of crews never really got to grips with them . As you say the crews that had the chance to get used to them got good work from them including taking 14 coach trains  over Shap unassisted.

In a sense it was a bit like the Britannias , that were poor performers on the Western until they were all sent to Cardiff Canton who eventually got used to them and produced good performances. 

However , my vote goes to the standard Class 4 tanks. They worked everywhere from Glasgow to Swanage , and.from Mid Wales to Southend ,possibly the widest distribution of any class and distinguished themselves even amongst previous 2-6-4 tanks which were themselves excellent machines.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mullie said:

Britannia's for me today. They had a big impact when they arrived on the GE section and despite any shortcomings helped rejuvenate rail services in the region. They also looked good.

Martyn

And they were cheaper to run than a B1. I read somewhere that when introduced they were £4 cheaper on coal and water than a B1 on a round trip to Norwich and back from Liverpool St. so on that the level of wages at that time it means that over a working week , based on two round trips per day the saving was almost enough to pay the wages of two crews.

• Informative/Useful 3

G'Day Folks

Close call between the 9F and the 4MT  2-6-4T, I think the 9F gets it for the sheer hard work they put in, but for looks, I would have voted for the 2-8-2 version, had it been produced !

manna 

• Like 1