Peterborough North

great northern

The A4 was designed using all the accumulated knowledge of running the A1s and A3s, information published by Andre Chapelon, and some interesting development and testing to produce the casing.

It was designed for performance, rather than being modified for post-war conditions of maintenance.

The A4 has to be the best high-speed passenger locomotive produced under the leadership of HNG.

I do think however, that for a general purpose locomotive, the A4's younger sister in the form of the V2 may the best Gresley locomotive.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, I'm gonna vote for the A3! By which I mean the post 1928 so-called 'Super Pacifics' with long travel valves and improved superheating - to which spec all original Gresley A1s were - of course - subsequently rebuilt to.

It was the A3s that really proved the Gresley large loco pacific concept (not everyone was convinced that it was the right way to go in the late 1920s) and, whereas A1 4472 barely got to 100mph in March 1934, A3 2750 comfortably exceeded it 7 months later in one of the classic high speed test runs of the steam era, thereby paving the way for the A4s the next year.

Yes, the A4s are unquestionably a stand out, successful design - but only because of what went before.

(I also - whisper it in hushed tones - have a bit of a 'blind spot' for the A4s when it comes to aesthetics. An A3, in original LNER livery, is the epitome of grace and power combined. I'd even put it ahead of an LMS Duchess in that sense. 

Nurse! The medicine - quick! He's really lost it this time...)

I totally agree. If the competition was for favourite loco I would say the A4 but the competition is for best design when you consider the A3 ( as it became)  was still on frontline services after 40 years, and what’s more they were working side by side with class 8 locos , keeping the same times. 

With the benefit of hindsight I think there is an argument for saying  the A4 s and all the Thompson and Peppercorn Pacific’s were unnecessary and the A3 s could have been developed further at less cost.  In practice only 90 mph was necessary , not 126 mph and although the Peppercorn A1s were designed for 500 ton trains the post war trend was towards lighter trains and more of them . If the A3’s were given the improved steam passages of the A4’s who knows what could have been achieved? 

Just a thought.

Anyway, my vote goes to the A3’s

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

A4 for me please, as the ultimate development of the Gresley style.

Just off to listen to SNG doing 112 on the 'Triumph of an A4' record.  Oh yeah. The civils must have freaked out!

I had forgotten that sound.......bet it was lively on the FP.

Was this when the Inspector said, " That's enough!"?

• Agree 1

A4 for me. Only because I've ridden behind more A4s (60029, 60009 and 60019), otherwise how could I split them, so was close to a tie for me. Must be something about the 9 with A4s and me even if 60019 was numbered 4464 when I actually rode behind her. I even recall reading Norman Mackillop's Top Link Locomotives as a teenager and that was all about 9.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An amost impossible choice in this poll, I reckon. The A4 took it by 13 votes to 7.

Now we come to locomotives used mainly on passenger duties. To give a fair bit of choice in each category, I decree that these shall be B17 D49 N2 and V1/3. I know they could all be classified as mixed traffic, but that would make one very large category, so we will do it this way. Mixed traffic tomorrow, with another 6 to choose from.

• Like 1

V1 and V3 please.
I've never (yet) found criticism of them as vehicles or traction units.
Not sure what lubrication and maintenance would have been like.
Best looking tank engines ever!

(I do like the D49s as well. Unfortunately for my railway I need black Hunts rather than green Shires, and I actually prefer the latter.)

Edited by drmditch
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m going with the D49’s today. In the Thirties and Forties, and the early Fifties, they could be found on so many local services in and out of Hull until the DMU’s replaced them. 

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

An amost impossible choice in this poll, I reckon. The A4 took it by 13 votes to 7.

Now we come to locomotives used mainly on passenger duties. To give a fair bit of choice in each category, I decree that these shall be B17 D49 N2 and V1/3. I know they could all be classified as mixed traffic, but that would make one very large category, so we will do it this way. Mixed traffic tomorrow, with another 6 to choose from.

Are you going to run a play-off series, with the winners of each group pitched against each other?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1